How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask George-Allsorts Your Own Question
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1448
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
George-Allsorts is online now

Dear just answer engineers!! i have just bought a second hand

This answer was rated:

dear just answer engineers!!
i have just bought a second hand miele wash /tumble dryer.
silly question, but i cannot pay 60 quid +, to discover that it just needs a washer on the cold water inlet, or whatever.
when i have connected it to our cold water supply, screwed it tight, then opened up the half turn valve, it just sprays water.
what do i do next?? and what part do i need to buy...thanks very much
Remove the hose from the inlet, check that it indeed does have a rubber washer in the end of the connection on the hose.. If yes, turn the washer over to get a better seal, or replace the washer or hose.If no, get a rubber washer or replace the hose. I'm going to send you a Phone Request incase you need to talk direct to me.. Do not accept it unless you feel you need to talk via the phone for ease.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello george
ok so the washer i turned around, it is not degraded or has perished.
it still leaks...the water seems to travel right through the connection, past the washer and out of the back of the turning nut (hand tight seems to be good enough - i wouldn't think that tightening it with a wrench would make much difference)
what to do...
Then I would replace the hose itself as you proberbly have a fracture in the joint.
George-Allsorts and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i think thats a good idea.
ok off to the miele parts dealer.
thanks george i hope that its the kind of part that i can fit myself.
i am happy to pay for your answering of my questions, cheers!!
if i click on 'phone call' - then the money goes to you so thats good.
i won't be able to rate this until i get the bloody thing working...
yeah please give me your number just incase i need it...and i can close all the windows of my pc.
many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello george
they quoted me 200 quid for the hose
i can't afford to replace it
i don't think you understood that the model of my washing machine has a 'special' attachment.
i have bought a standard replacement hose costing 3 pound fifty.
i have got very little chance of doing this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here's hoping that there is 'a chance'
You could check to see where the water is squirting out from, and if it is a fracture, thoroughly dry the fracture and try araldite it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not a bad suggestion, i hadn't even considered it.
what's pissing me off is that it's not a visible thing as the 'floodproof brick' is blocking my view of it.
my girlfriend has suggested that we sell it on, on ebay.
to be continued.... i will let you know the outcome :)
Ok squire.. Look forward to the next episode.