JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.

Just moved house with our Samsung American fridge

Hi just moved house with our Samsung American fridge freezer.all working ok. but needed to changed filter. have done this but the red filter light is still on.I bought two replacement filters 2011. do they deteriorate if not fitted.

My guess is the filter light just needs a manual rest, most Samsung fridges do not auto detect when a new filter is installed, what happens when you hold the water button in for 5 seconds with one of the replacement filters installed?

Can you advise what model of Samsung fridge freezer you have?

The filters deteriorate based on water flow, not by age (in the most part), a filter should last for around 1000 litres.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens when I hold the the water button in for 5 seconds, the light is still on.the model is RSH1DTMH524.

Sorry for the confusion, Samsung like to keep us on our toes, your model requires you to hold the Ice Type button for 3 seconds, which should be under the LCD display.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks it worked. pity they don;t put this in the user manual, and save me £20

Excellent, appreciate if you can rate the service received so I may close the case.