Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a new plastic handle for my 20 year old whirlpool

I have a new plastic handle for my 20 year old whirlpool chest freezer. How do I remove the old bro***** *****dle from the freezer lid, it appears to have sunken hex. bolts in a counter bored hole. Do I need special tools?.
Regards ***** *****

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Can you post a picture of the fastener head, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry do not have photo equipment.
Alternative solution ?? - can I cut away the old plastic handle to expose fasteners and then use a spanner to remove them?
I propose fitting the new handle with slotted head screwdriver fasteners??Answer this please!!. DChattaway

Is the top of the screw solid or does it have a star shape in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screw seems to have a round cylindrical depression in the hexagon head. I have tried Allen keys, they do not work!!.

Look like the one at the link below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
No star shapes.
Looks like a circular drill hole depression.
Outside profile of fastener head seems to be a hexagon. But hole in handle too small for box spanners to enter. Maybe a special tool is used
How about my workaround solution of cutting away old plastic handle, remove fasteners with spanner. Replace new handle with slotted head screwdriver fasteners.??

Sure, you can break the handle away and then replace the screws. Just be careful you don't enlarge the holes when you remove the handle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your supportRegardsBye - David

Take care, David, thank you!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!