How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JamesI Your Own Question
JamesI, Handyman
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2155
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
JamesI is online now

We have an AEG americanf/f ref141092847521 501710. We have

This answer was rated:

We have an AEG americanf/f ref141092847521 501710.
We have had it for just under three years but have already had a repair which resulted in a new evaporator battery being fitted.This week we noticed a black stained liquid coming from the bottom and after removing the fridge to check where it was coming from it appears to be dripping from the motor box at the bottom of the fridge.It has a small pipe which has a large blob of putty at the top and this is where the leak is.Please could you advise as to wether this putty should be there and if so what could be the problem.

Good evening,

The putty is a standard sealant used to help reduce movement of the pipes and fold evaporator trays etc on to the compressor.

The liquid could be condensation, and getting the staining from the black pain of the compressor, however there is a risk that the coolant gas could be escaping, so I would as a matter of urgency get someone to inspect the appliance. A small leak can easily be repaired, but the re-refrigeration is an irritant so there is an urgency to get someone out sooner than later.

If you would like me to recommend a suitable engineer to come out and inspect the leak, please provide your post code.

JamesI and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Please could you recommend an engineer and let me know the call out charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry my post code is bd19 4hd

I had a chat with a colleague, and he said it sounds like a overflowing \ cracked evaporation tray, it sounds more likely after re-reading your question, as your suggested its coming from under the motor not where the pipe comes into contact with the compressor.

I have referred customers to WRS in the past and have always had good feedback from the people who use them, they charge £45 call out, but that include the first hours labour. They cant be contacted on 01484 297004