JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Siemens gas hob the ignition switch is working

I have a Siemens gas hob the ignition switch is working spasmodically to light gas could you advise please.

Hi Linda,

Do you just have the one ignition button to press after turning the gas on, or is the ignition button integrated into each burner' gas control?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
On each burner

Ok, and the fault occurs on all 4 burners not just a particular one?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The fact its occurring on all burners rules out a electrode fault as that would mean only one burner would be affected.

Its unlikely to be a button failure since your noticing this fault when using any of the four control knobs, this leaves me to believe its likely to be the spark generator.

To determine if the part is still available can you advise the model of Siemens Hob?

The model number of the hob should be on the manual, if you dont have the exact model I can only give you an estimate I am afraid.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Model no e-nr 17353gb

Great, a replacement spark generator would cost around £50, you can source one from here.

If the hob is still in good working order I would suggest you proceed with repair, however as this is a gas appliance you will need a gas safe engineer to replace the part.

If you provide me with your postcode I can recommend a local engineer who could replace the part for you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
HP109LW
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Will this engineer come with necessary part.?

I have called a number of local engineers unfortunately none of them repair hobs in your area.

For this reason would suggest you go to Siemens direct there number is ***** selecting option 4.

They charge around £100 inc VAT and call out charges, but excludes the cost of parts, so total cost of repair would be around £150, but they will supply any parts they need.

Before booking an engineer it is worth just making sure the hob is given a good clean to rule out any issues with grease causing the burners to not ignite but its very unlikely to affect all burners.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your text I have decided to think on this as the hob is 14yrs old but in very good condition as it intermitly works I will live with this plus I now have a gas spark gun when it doesn't oblige,Thank you.