JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My Siemens extractor fan hood model: LC959509B has

My Siemens extractor fan hood model: LC959509B has completely stopped working. I noticed that the red display lights were brighter and locked then it completely stopped working. Please could you advise.

Do you have the ENR number for the extractor, and advise how old the appliance is?

From your brief description it suggests it could be a blown fuse if there is no sign of power. You should be able to locate a plug just above the extractor or some times within the chimney, once located swap the fuse with that from another appliance and see if its still dead, if it is put the original fuse back, and let me know the outcome.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you James. I thought it might be the fuse. The wire does seem to be going up via the inner flute - albeit a very tight fit, I shall try to hunt out the plug/fuse.

No problem, let me know how you get on.

How did you get on troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The extractor hose going into the ceiling fits very tightly so I'm nervous about forcing it to see if their is a fuse box up above it. Thank you for asking.

Your looking just for a socket with a 13A plug, isnt there a metal outer flue which encases the hose?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’ve slid that down to expose the hose but it is very tightly fit into the hole above into the ceiling which is where I assume the fuse box is the electrical wire is running up there.

They must have have put the plug in the ceiling void then, which isnt uncommon but not helpful.

Rather than disturbing it, if you have a multi meter you can check to see if you are getting voltage at the PCB where the flex from the ceiling terminates.

If it shows there is no power then you know its worth removing the pipe which should come off the extractor and let you fold it so you can get your arm into the ceiling void, the hoses have alot of give.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much. I’ll see if I can get a multi metre.

I will follow up with you later in the week.

How did you get on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No joy so far. Could the fuse be in the (image attached)? Thank you

Very unlikely, it should be within the plug, as you fuse the wire as early on in the circuit should the cable be cut for example.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. James. Shall pursue finding the fuse.