JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a DysonDC33. The brushes don't seem to turn. Is this

I have a DysonDC33. The brushes don't seem to turn. Is this a common problem and is there anything i can check to resolve problem.

Hi Katy are you referring to the brushes in the agitator?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The agitator? Not sure what that is. I mean the brushes at bottom that come in cOntact with floor.

Yes the agitator is the name for the brush head which makes contact with the floor.

To confirm you have removed the brushes which are not rotating, inspected them and cant see any issue, put them back but they dont appear to be rotating?

Do the brushes turn by hand once put back in the floor head?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they do

This is certainly not a common issue however suggests a fault with the air flow around the mechanism, as its the air flow (vacuum) which causes the agitator brush to rotate.

How long have you have your DC33? If you place your hand at the end of the nozzle (without the head connected) is there sufficient suction?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
anything else I can do?

How old is the DC33, and is there sufficient suction?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Suction seems ok, the dyson is about 6/7 years old
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
suction is ok

Can you confirm your have the upright version of the DC33, and not the company DC33C, I ask as changing the brushes on the upright one is very involved as you have to remove the drive belt.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the upright one dc33.. i didn't move belt just removed dust around brushes and put them back

Right when you removed the cover in-front of the brushes could you see the belt which is about 1/2 inch wide, if not it suggests that has failed and the cause of your issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the belt was there and in tact

Ok, so if the brushes are spinning freely by hand, the belt is in tact it has do be the clutch or motor.

The clutch is most likely fault and can be found here for around £20, the video here shows how to replace it 26 mins into the video.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you I'll try that

Appreciate if you can rate the service received using the star rating on this page, if you have any further questions do come back to me.