JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My Hotpoint tumble dryer was replaced Dec 16TH 2016 due to a

my Hotpoint tumble dryer was replaced Dec 16TH 2016 due to a fault in manufacturing It has not been used excessively since there are only two of us,and when used it is for mainly "airing" and not drying directly from the washing machine. The warranty expired a month ago - we have been away since the beginning of Dec. 2017 so have had no reason to use it But when attempting to use it two days ago it is displaying "flashing red lights"above the failure indicators The water tank is empty, the two filters have been checked - all of which seem perfectly alright
We have tried contacting Hotpoint many times over the last 48 hours but to no avail To state that I am frustrated is putting it mildly and since it is virtually a new appliance (not having had undue use) despite it having been replaced just over a year ago our opinion overall of this make of appliance is most unsatisfactory! We would appreciate an answer to this inconvenient and annoying dilemma.

Can you post the model number of the dryer please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
TDWSF 83B EP (UK)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have I sent the correct info.?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Numbers inside door of appliance (in case you need the)
TDWSF 83B EP (UK)
F1000202

Hi Barbara,

I see you requested additional assistance with your dryer.

The details provided have enabled me to locate the appliance in question, what numbers and symbols are shown on the large LCD display to the right of the dryer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
F03
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already paid the £15 requested for personal contact

Please discard the option for additional costs\services, this is just an advert and not required to proceed.

Give me a few moments to look up the fault code.

The F03 fault relates the temp sensor within the dryer (for future reference you can find a easy to understand guide to fault codes here).

With this fault it points to either the heater which isnt working (producing heat) or the temp sensor which isnt detecting the heat, in either case the fault is a hardware one, and you will need to get someone out to strip it down and test both heater and sensor.

Give me a few minutes while I look up the parts to give you an idea on cost, and suggest how best to proceed.

A new temp sensor (known as a NTC) would cost around £30, a new heater would be around £100, based on experience its more often the sensor than the heater, and since its only occasionally used that would probably fall into line with supporting a sensor fault.

Are you or anyone in your household comfortable with taking the dryer apart?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No unfortunately!

Ok, in that case I would suggest opting for a engineer visit. If you provide me with your postcode I can look to find a local engineer to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much Code is OX173HF But shouldn’t this be covered by warranty considering it was a replacement for our previous one which was known to be faulty and I paid £90 for this one to be replaced The years guarantee expired on Dec 26th last year so a month over

Its worth asking the question from Hotpoint, if you call and say you tried to report the fault on Christmas day and the office was closed and this is the first opportunity you had to report the issue they may well accept the warranty claim. No harm in asking the question the number for HP customer services is 03448 224 224, selecting option 3, 2 and 2 again. You will need the model number provided above.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You’re a treasure!

The two local engineers I would suggest you contact for a repair if HP are unable to assist are Domestiserve on 01235 812777 or Talmage' on 01865 596062.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received using the star rating on this page.

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hotpoint has no solution except to say 1) warranty passed by 3 weeks
2) cost would be £189
No comment!
I’m just leaving it for the time being since considering the age of the dryer - just over 12 months I think the service from them,their attitude and last but not least the cost,has been appalling! We’ll try in the next week to find an engineer who is more reasonable to repair the fault,which as you said could just be the sensor Again my grateful thanks - restores faith in human nature! Barbara Davies