carlday1
carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.
69505510

I have a Delonghi Rapido Oil Heater G011230RTW and the

I have a Delonghi Rapido Oil Heater G011230RTW and the on/off switch is broken because one of the buttons has snapped as well as the little arm that toggles the switch up and down. I've purchased a new on-off switch exactly the same as the one that's broken. I've removed the broken one and inside there are six connectors that connect to six flat contact pins on the rear of the switch. On the rear of the switch are six flat contact pins that connect to six wires that end in flat-head sleeves that slip over the flat connection pins on the read of the on/off switch.My problem is I don't know which pin connected to witch wire.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In the first image:
1 - red wire (single wire)
2 - white wire (single wire)3 - brown wire (connected to 4 as in picture)
4 - brown wire (connected to 3 as in picture)5 - double blue wire (both wires blue)
6 - double wire, one wire white, one wire blue
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The second image shows the contact pins on the rear of the on/off siwtch to which the colored wires above connect
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the third image shows the numbers of the pinssix pins, six different coloured wiresI'd like to know if there's any way to guess which wires likely connect to which pins?the way the wires are arranged inside the machine, wires 5 and 6 must connect to the bottom pins (6 and 5), wires 5 and 6 are so short they barey come out of the gap where the on/off switch sits, they wouldn't really reach any higher than the bottom two pinsI have a feeling like the brown wires (3 and 4) should go in the middle row (pins 4 and 3)And that the red and white wires (1 and 2 respectively) should go at the top.I've searched online for a wiring diagram for this model of Delonghi but with no luck.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. Please bear with me whilst I have a look at the pictures.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's great. In the meantime I've managed to get the front panel off the machine so I can see where each of the wires goes inside, it's quite a simple layout. I'll send them in a moment.The two bottom pins on the on/off switch are marked with light bulbs for the lamps inside each of the two switches so the bottom two pins are for the lamps.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this images shows where wires 3 and 4 connect
they both connect to the dial that sets the strength of the heater, it's a dial that you turn clockwise or anticlockwise to set the heating strength between 1 (lowest) and 6 (highest)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the area marked in blue with a letter 'A' is where these wires connect; this is the rear of the temperature control dial component

thanks for the photos. How many wires do you have altogether?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
six wires, just the ones shown in the image

Could you send me a photo of the complete wiring inside the heater I only need the wiring on the front panel not the wires to the element. If you could send me a photo of the thermal cutouts as well that would be great.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
wire 1 (red) and wire 2 (white) appear to connect to where the mains power enters the machine and/or they are connected to the body of the heater;Mains power comes in at point B, and another blue wire goes from point B to point C; both wire 1 (red) and wire 2 (white) are connected to point C and point C itself is connected to where the mains power enters the device
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the other two wires (5 an 6) are connected to the IHS (Instant Heating System) button

T​hank you could send me a photo of the side of the switch.

W​hat colour are wires 5 and 6 and are they joined together like 3 and 4.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
IMG_1292 is the complete wiring layout
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Five and six are joined together but in a different way to 3 and 4. Photo to follow shortly.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wire 6 is white and blue
Wire 5 is blue and blue

T​hats great do wires 5 and 6 go to the blue (neutral) wire where the flex enters the heater?

The photos are a great help I am nearly there with the wiring. On the diagram you send of the switch you labelled the terminals are terminals 1 and 2 the lamp ones?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it appears so. There is a wire that connects to 'Point E' which is where the flex enters the heater
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no, five and six are the lamp terminals
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the lamp terminals are set off from the other four terminals by a gap.the top four terminals are spaced equidistant, but the two bottom lamp terminals (5 and 6) are set further away

Ok Brilliant

​Wiring so far
Wires 5 and 6 to terminals 5 and 6 on the switch.
​Wires 3 and 4 to terminals 1 and 2 on the switch

W​hat switch does what. Which side of the switch is the on/off switch?

​I am right in thinking one switch is on and off and the other is the second heat setting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
left switch activates normal heating at minimum power
right switch actives normal heating at medium power
both switches active normal heating at maximum power
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
each switch will light its LED lamp when pressed and the lamp will switch off when the same switch is moved into the off position
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
left switch: minimum
right switch: medium
both switches: maximum

Thanks bear with me

At point C are the neutrals joined together?

Wire 1 to terminal 3 on the switch.

Wire 2 to terminal 4 on the switch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
let me check
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i've tried the wiring but there's no light on the switches
Did the heater work?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
let me try leaving it on longer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've just noticed that on the on/off switch itself are very small numbers identifying the numbers of the terminals
i've marked them in the photo, the previous numbers were just my own assignments to make it easier to talk about the terminals, but the numbers in this new photo are the ones that are written very small on the rear of the switchI've checked the wires themselves (with a watchmaker's loupe) and I can't find any numbers on any of the wiresdoes this change your suggested wiring?

Is there any writing on the side of the switch? I am certain the switch is wired right at the moment.

​When you plugged heater in did you have any lights on it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No lights when I plugged it in
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
as for writing on the side of the switch, it's too small to photograph but I can type it out for you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
DEFOND 16(6)A 250V~
DRH-2415
1E4 T125/55

Do you have a multimeter? was the heater working ok before you changed the switch?

​Was the timer set to on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it was working but only the left switch, the right switch was broken
that's a good idea about the timer maybe the timer is switched on and it's not activating the circuit, I'll check now, good idea
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
success!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's what it was, the timer was set so it was off
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
silly, I should have checked... oh my goodness, schoolboy error!

I​ am pleased, I was starting to worry the cut out had broke.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks so much for your help

Your most welcome please could you rate my service.

If you need anymore help feel free to contact me.

Carl