JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.

Just used new Candy induction hob for first time that I had

just used new Candy induction hob for first time that I had stored in garage for 4 years-top surface has become warm/hot & smoke (melting plastic?)appearing from underneath in cupboard!-thanks Dr Anthony H

Hi Anthony,

It sounds like you may have a wire which is making contact with the induction coil and giving off that smell.

This is a hardware fault you need to disconnect it and strip it down to locate the part which is burning, if the wires to the inductor coil look ok check the PCB's

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks!-my electrician was rather dubious of the hob(I bought 2 for 1 on the internet 4 years ago and a serial num was missing!-all though the source seemed reputable)-he thought it may have come off the back of a lorry!-I will relay your useful advise to him mane-thank you James

Let me know what he observes and attach a picture if possible, high energy appliances like this are not very forgiving when they go wrong.