JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.

My television for no reason will go black on half the screen

my television for no reason will go black on half the screen and the picture goes red. I have a toshiba tv model40xv551D

Hi Gillian, how old is the TV? This sounds like a T-Con board failure which is a hardware fault within one of the components of the TV.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
the television is about 7years ols
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
is this fixable i am on a pension and mjust paid £20 so dont want to spend more if i need a new tv

Typical cost of repair would be around £100, the typical life expectancy of a TV is 8 years.

Based on the age and cost of repair I would recommend a replacement.

However if you would prefer a repair please advise on your postcode and I can list some local repair agents

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
thanks for your reply as its old i think i will have to replace it was hoping it might just need some adjustments thanks again

No problem Gillian, this fault is certainly a hardware one and not anything which can be done by changing settings I am afraid, so I can close the case please rate the service using the star rating on this page.