JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.

We have a Miele w2240 washing machine. Lots of wirring and

Hi. We have a Miele w2240 washing machine. Lots of wirring and the rinse light is flashing with the timer showing - - -. Could it be the brushes or something else? The machine is about 9 yrs old. Thanks Errol
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Miele is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The rinses light is flashing constantly.
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends what is wrong with it. If it is something like the brushes I could probably do it myself.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had just rinsed my jacket & did a spin cycle which all worked. Then went to do a 30 wash when the machine stopped and showed the aforementioned signs.

I take it the drum isnt rotating at all when you hear the whirring nose?

If you turn the drum by hand is there any resistance?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The drum is stationary and there is no resistance when I turn it by hand
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Txt is fine thank you

Ok, remove the back cover with it unplugged and see if you can see if the drive belt is attached and operational

Whirring often suggests the motor is running but the drive belt is slipping.

You can discard offers for calls etc these are automated adverts

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Ok I'll need to pull the machine out and take the cover off.

Let me know how you get on

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Top panel is off and the belt looks like it is under tension and turning with the wheel when I turn it by hand
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Anything else I can try?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am heading out the door at 4 as I have an appointment to get to.

No problem, start it up with the back panel off and see if you can see the motor turning when you hear the whirring.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.

If you cant unplug it remove the carbon brushes, and see if they are worn.

A new set can be purchased for £35 here

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
From what I can see from the Top, the motor is not turning.

It does sound like the brushes you will soon see how much is left on the brushes when you remove them.

Based on the age of the appliance I wouldnt look to spend more than £50 on the repair, as its approaching the end of its natural life.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Ok. My wife says she will get a Miele technician out to look at it. Thank you very much for your help. Cheers

The engineers will charge a fair bit, I would suggest using someone local as the cost of repair for the age of the appliance wouldnt be economical.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Yeah I know an engineer is expensive. Will try convince my wife toward a cheaper option. Thanks again for ur help. Cheers
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
How do I end this chat ?

Just rate the service from me using the star rating on this page.