JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Expansion vessel on 2 y.o. boiler has been replaced

Expansion vessel on 2 y.o. boiler has been replaced 'faulty'. I have the old one in the garage and have pumped air in to 2 bar which is holding. if the membrane is faulty would you expect the pressure to drop? Thanks in advance

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

A faulty expansion vessel should shows signs of fault if water were getting into the membrane or more likely air was getting into the heat circuit and depressurising the membrane.

I would pump it up to 4 bar, then check the pressure over the course of a week, if its not dropping then it suggests there isnt anything wrong with the inner workings of the vessel.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the reply. There's obviously no water in the vessel now and I wondered if any 'hole' would be sealed against the opposite face of the vessel and give a false OK. I will pump it to 4 bars and monitor and if it holds I will suggest the replacement was not needed! I'm speaking from Mallorca where English speaking help is thin on the ground. Nod

Pumping it to 4 bar would expose any hole regardless of which side had torn, let me know how you get on.