Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My timer on my gas top/electric oven has suddenly gone mad

My timer on my gas top/electric oven has suddenly gone mad and won't stop counting. It doesn't respond to the + or - button. I also got a little electric shock in my thumb when I turned the +/- knob. I've turned off power to it. I took off the knob and cleaned the debris away but that didn't work. Any suggestions to fix it would be gratefully received.RegardsM-B

Do you have the model number please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ZCM 7902

Thanks for that.

Now given the fault you have here the timer is faulty im afraid as ive replaced many of these in the past for this fault.

But the bad news is the timer for your model is now obsolete so youu can no longer buy it.

But if you dont use the timer you can actually bypass this.

To do this you need to access the back of the timer and take a picture of the wires going to the timer and post it on here.

Then i can advise on how to bypass the timer on this and that way you can at least use the oven from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I access the back of the timer?

You need to open the top oven door and from there look under the front control pane.

There you will see a few screws, Remove these and then you can lift the front of the hob top up and you can remove the metal from there.

Once this is off you can see the timer from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yip. I can se them. I'll be a few minutes. Thanks.

No worries.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sending photo.

Sorry, I need to see the back of the timer to be able to work out how its bypassed on this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this any good?

Thanks for that thats better.

Ive marked on the pictures which wires you need to join to bypass.

Then that blue wire i have circuled in green is the neutral into the timer.

You need to pull this off and tape the wire up into the loom from there.

This will then disconnect the timer so nothing will light up but you should be able to use the oven from there.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Need to clarify the wires that need to be joined please. You've put a black arrow. Is that pointing to the circle? Does that mean the red wire & which other wire (black or white) need to be joined???
I am not going to be able to do this by myself. Is it safe to use until I can find someone to help me?
Should I leave the power off to the cooker when not I use or is it safe to leave it on and just let the timer keep running?
Many thank for your helpM-B

Were does that black wire go to as the picture is right on the edge of the timer and it looks to me its juts passing over the timer.

Anyway you need to join the red and white wire as on the timer you will see the relay which the wires go to. Its that realy you need to bypass.

Also yes it will still be safe to use till you get round to doing it as its just the clock on there thats causing this so when not using the oven just turn the power off and it will be fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see. Black wire goes to the red light for the cooker!
Thank you for your help.