Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Beko GL12APS american FF which has developed a

Hi there, I have a Beko GL12APS american FF which has developed a fault whereby the compressor is not running correctly.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It has been moved around and switched on and off a few times in the last week and was working fine until yesterday. The compressor seemed to start to work and then stop again. There is power to it as the control screen/lights are working. Having read a few other threads on here I have tried turning it overnight and turns it back on about thirty minutes ago. The compressor starts up for around ten seconds before clicking and stopping. This is then repeated at around 2min 30second intervals. I can hear the usual faint hum/whoosh sound from the FF, the compressor has begun warm slightly, and the 'radiator' element is beginning to get a little warmer on the side closest to the compressor. The fan side is still cooler although the fan has not come on at all.
Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Ooh, typing overlap! See above, thanks.
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can do some bits but not the refrigeration parts.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
HiIf the compressor is clicking off like this and it’s getting warm then I’m afraid the compressor itself is faulty here.The clicking noise is the relay clicking off because the motor inside isn’t running.For this the compressor has to be replaced which is a job for a fridge engineer as it will need to be regassed back up.But cost wise you are looking at about the £250-300 mark as they are not cheap.Sorry it’s not the news you wanted to hear but I’m am 100% sure the compressor is faulty here.Regards
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was just thinking that the compressor hadn't got THAT warm. But the cycle on on/click/off has repeated and I have just touched it again and it is now at a a temperature where I can hold my hand on it, but if it was any warmer I wouldn't be able to. Just to confirm that I am looking at the correct component (I am NO expert!), it is the Turk Electric MTS200MT thingy
bob, isn't it?
Yeah that’s the compressor.If you say it starts for 10 seconds and clicks off and does the same a few minutes later this is 100% a compressor fault. I see this a lot doing fridge repairs.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, a new FF it is then! In your experience are you able to recommend any brands or suggest any to avoid? We have been happy with Beko in the past as their stuff has generally lasted well. This FF at 5 1/2 years old is the worst so far.
To be honest these Bekos are usually good.But other then them for a decent priced ones the Samsung’s are good fridge freezers.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. Right, we're off to fill up the neighbours FF's with our defrosting stuff. Thank you for your prompt responses and advice. At least we can crack on and order a new one rather than wasting any more time. Kind regards, Neil