JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a De Dietrich St Steel Downdraft Extractor Hood Ref:

Customer Question

I have a De Dietrich St Steel Downdraft Extractor Hood Ref: DHD7000X which was purchased and installed in Sept 09 but has been working well. Unfortunately some weeks ago the hood failed to completely return to its closed position by some 15mm, however it has now decided that once operation has been started it reaches the top position then automatically closes down, then on reaching the almost closed position starts upwards again and continues to the top, then again and again and again starts the same process of up and down without stopping. I have cleaned the filters and checked the air flow to outside and found NO obstructions. I have now switched the extractor off. If you can advise it would be most helpful. Many thanks ***** *****.
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Hi Brian, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

It sounds like the PCB has failed, from the symptom you have the PCB is not detecting the extractor is in a steady state and then power cycling (powering off\closing and then starting back up). A new PCB should resolve the issue, the fact its not closing fully suggests that this is again due to the PCB not letting it fully power down, and stopping the motor too early. The other possible cause is a damaged cog but since its moving 95% its unlikely to be a mechanical failure in the mechanism.

Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Can you advise how long you have had the extractor Brian?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hi James as my invaluable email, it was purchased and installed in 09. If it is the pub how much is it and how much to install as they are now much cheaper. Cheers BrianW.
Expert:  JamesI replied 20 days ago.

The part is normally around £200-250, you then looking for an engineer call out (the job takes about an hour) so in all your probably talking about £350.

If looking to go down a repair route (rather than replace) then I would opt for a fixed price repair and protect plan from someone such as the company here, it covers all parts and labour for less than £350.

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 days ago.

Please confirm if you need anything further or if I can resolve the case