JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Beko DW686 built-in dishwasher. It keeps tripping

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Beko DW686 built-in dishwasher. It keeps tripping the RCD on the consumer unit. I have previously checked for leaks and removed the front door panel and found a broken wire which I fixed. This was ok for some time but now its started tripping the RCD again. I also had to clean the contacts for the rinse aid sensor. This light on the display is flashing all of the time now so just wondered if this could cause a short sufficient to trip the power?
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: "Hi, I have a Beko DW686 built-in dishwasher" How do you run the diagnostic test cycle? Does it have to be empty?
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The normal cycle runs for approx 25mins before tripping the electric so I don't this it's the heater element
Expert:  JamesI replied 14 days ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

At what point in the cycle does the RCD trip, I think the fault is more likely to be pump or heater, but any lose wire would cause the RCD to trip since it just require a ground fault (not high current).

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi James,The 'Quick & Clean' cycle lasts 1:17. It trips between 53-56 mins remaining. As described in my original conversation I have repaired a broken wire before and cleaned the contacts for the connector at the rinse aid dispenser (possible leak). Once the electric has tripped I can reset this after a couple of times and it will run the remainder of the program with out any further faults or tripping the RCD. I have had the dishwasher out previously and the try is clean and dry so there is no leaks identified further down which would cause a short or ground fault.I have asked how to run the diagnostic test cyle in my first conversation but have not had a response!
Expert:  JamesI replied 14 days ago.

The diagnostic mode is normally entered by holding down the the Start and Program button together with the dishwasher off, then pressing the power button waiting 5 seconds and releasing the two buttons. However this model has a different button layout so if that doesnt work try holding the program and the button to the right of it (rather than start).

All lights on the control panel come on for 2-3 seconds then go off and you cycle through the features by pressing the start button.

However in this situation the diagnostic mode isnt of a great help, run the washer on a rinse only cycle and prove the fault doesnt occur, if it complete without fault after running it twice then this confirms the fault is with the heating element.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Done the pre-wash setting twice and then put it on normal wash with no problems. Is there more than one heater element in this dishwasher? There is no issue with the drying phase during the cycle after washing the dishes. How often does the heater element kick in to heat the water?
In addition since the previous fix it worked without issue for about 1 month and then the rinse aid light started flashing. This is when it started to trip the RCD again. Would this cause a fault that would trip the RCD? Just trying to rule out all possibilities before spending out on parts I won't need
Expert:  JamesI replied 13 days ago.

An intermittent fault is always a challenge.

There is only one heater in this appliance.

The element kicks in after pre-wash completes and will kick in based on the current temp and that of what the programme requires, so its not on a timer its dynamic based on a thermostat.

None of the indicator lights (with exception of the start/stop light) should flash. So your getting an unusual behaviour which could suggest a faulty PCB, certainly there isnt anything in the engineer manual to suggest what would make it flash, or point to a specific fault.

The RCD tripping would be a an earth leakage which generally points to water making contact with electrical components, but as you have discovered it could be a lose wire making contact with the outer frame. From your symptoms I think its more likely to be the heater, caused by the breakdown of the insulation around the heating element; as the element starts the insulation is ok, but as the element heats up over time and expands the insulation fails and then causes the fault.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Ive not heard back from you do you need anything further?