How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JamesI Your Own Question
JamesI, Handyman
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2980
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
JamesI is online now

I have an Electrolux hob cooker, 11 years old. The metal rim

This answer was rated:

I have an Electrolux hob cooker, 11 years old. The metal rim of one hob has warped so there is a gap (4mm) between the rim of the hob on one side and the metal base of the stove top. Is this a problem?

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Are you able to take a picture and attach it to this page so I can see what your looking at.

In most cases a gap would not pose an issue providing it can be filled, and depending where the gap is would depend on what you need to use to fill it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, are you receiving the photo with this message?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You can see the gap just under the rim of the hob

Thanks got the image.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
a 'normal' hob, to show the difference

As this gap sits around the heating element there is a risk to fire in the event hot oil got into the gap and also potential electric shock, so does require attention.

I would be inclined to strip it down and see if you can manually tap\press the metal back in to place, it shouldnt be more than an hours job, but would require removing the element. Looking at the fault its most likely caused by a heavy pan being placed or dropped on the corner of the element which and depressed the corner, so its worth checking the bracket holding the element hasnt been damaged either, while you have it out.

This would probably be the most cost effective option, and something you could do yourself or via a handy man providing you switch off the power to the hob first.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, I'm not sure at all how to strip it down. How would I do that?
Would I need a handyman specialising in cooker appliances, or a general electric***** *****dyman. Thank you

Someone who is familiar with cookers is all you need, an electrician would be over kill.

With these models you would access it from underneath where you can then free the bracket letting the element lift up and from there can use a pin hammer of a pair of grips to just move the steel out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, that's helpful. My oven is underneath and the stove top looks like it is fixed to the worktop. Do you know how it's possible to get underneath it?

You would traditionally pull out the oven which is held in by 2 screws either side, and that then lets you access the underside of the hob.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, I understand, all clear. Thank you

No problem, appreciate if you can rate service using the star rating on the top of this page.


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just in case the metal can't be bent back into place - is it easy to find a new one to replace it?

They are often expensive (£80) I would opt to replace the entire hob, rather than repair it if you cant it to the correct shape. You can source most parts at you just need the model number which will be on the rating label under the hob.

JamesI and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, thanks you.