Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

The pilot light on the boiler keeps going out. had engineer

Customer Question

The pilot light on the boiler keeps going out.had engineer round who said that there is nothing he can do about it until it becomes very regular, every 5 minutes or so after resettingsurely there must be a common reason for itplease advisePaul M
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the boiler is a Vaillant
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 days ago.

Hi Paul, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

When the pilot light goes out what is shown on the control panel, does the boiler go into lockout?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the control panel shows a red light below the pilot symbol above the reset button, pressing this resolves the problem temporarily...a couple of hours but then the pilot goes out again
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 days ago.

The red light is a lock out light.

What is the specific model of boiler you have?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ecoTEC 1 pro James
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 days ago.

This model should have an LCD display, can you see an F or E number shown on the display.

The lockout occurs where the boiler encounters a significant fault multiple times, so this could be caused by a number of issues such as a faulty sensor, issues with the flue, or issue with the ignition (eg gas control valve, flame sensor, faulty electrode etc).

Once I know the error code shown I can direct you to which area needs troubleshooted.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no error code shown James
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 days ago.

If no error code is shown this points to a PCB fault, as its going into lockout without having a valid error.

When you reset the boiler and watch it start up, does the pilot light come on without incident, and how long does it take before the boiler goes back into a locked out state?