JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Panasonic NR53bvw1 amerivan fridge freezer and I am

Anthony, I have a Panasonic NR53bvw1 amerivan fridge freezer and I am trying to set the temps but I have changed the temp on the door but the revert to 5 c and -12c. Am I missing a step
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Panasonic is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: No sorry just bought it second hand friday
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the unit is cold and seems to work fine, the compressor power levels have dropped to low now suggesting the temps have been reached

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Switch the fridge off then switch it back on, can you please verify the fridge model number.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi James,
Apologies not coming back sooner. I did as you said and switched the unit off and on again and reset the temperatures.
Overnight, the temperatures had dropped to the requested levels. However, my wife has just told me that the fridge is now registering 8C and frezzer -12c, which are the same as yesterday. The fridge and freezer doors have not been opened more that a handful of times this morning (if that many!)The model of the unit is Panasonic american fridge freezer nr-b53vw1-wbThanksKarl
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi James, Thank you for the offer of a phone call but I am not at home at present and if you are able to supply a possible solution I can try this when I return laterRegardsKarl
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One other thought. Would the fact that the fridge has not been connected to a water supply make any difference the issue?

Hi, the offers for calls etc are just automated adverts, I dont think a phone call would offer any real value in this instance.

Not connecting the appliance to the water would not cause this issue, it suggests to me the main PCB has failed as its losing its memory and defaulting to -12.

The PCB is ridiculously expensive (see the part here), based on the cost of the part I would suggest you opt for a fixed price repair and protect plan such as the one here, this covers parts, labour and offers a fully money back guarantee if they cant resolve the issue.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks James. Could I ask, does a PCB just fail over night or would the fridge have been "playing up" before hand

The PCB controls many different components of the fridge, so depending on what is going wrong on the board it could have causes a range of other issues.

If it were something else a power cycle wouldnt have resulted in it starting to work again last night and then reoccur this morning.

What other issues (if any) have you encountered and I can tell you if they are likely to be related to the PCB, with that said a fixed price repair scheme which I referenced would come out and fix multiple faults and then give you a further years warranty without any issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks James. The fridge freezer initially wouldn't accept the changes in temperature from 8c and -12c. On your advice I switched it off for a few seconds and restarted and the temperature changes were accepted. When I woke this morning temperature readings were 2c & -18c as I has set them the night before and both sides of the unit were cold/cool. A couple of hours later the temps had reverted to 8c & -12c. Apart from this we have not tried to use anything else to do with the unit as it was only delivered on Friday. Could transit have done this?

Transit is unlikely to have caused the issue this sounds like an electrical component failures so not something through a lose wire but more a faulty part on the circuit board, which is normally associated with static or magnetic fields.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.