Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Our Admiral American style fridge freezer started leaking a

Customer Question

Our Admiral American style fridge freezer started leaking a month ago. I took off the back plate, cleaned out the channels to what I think is a holding tank (which was clogged with some paper), and hoped that would stop the leak. The leaks occur under the front left hand side periodically. I have googled for answers but i am puzzled as to why this is re-occuring. The seals on the freezer side appear intact. Grateful for any advice. Kind regards David
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

Hi David, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Its most likely the water is leaking from the mains water line, this runs from the back of the fridge where its connected to your mains water, and up through the door.

Over time the water line can be damaged and leak, strip down the door and see if you can locate signs of water in the door.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I turned off the man water and it leaked again. I have also disabled the ice maker. I presumed therefore it must be something to do with the evaporator but I am not sufficenty savvy to know what to do. Should I try turn this very large double door fridge freezer on its side to check the underside? Thanks. David
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

Hi David

The fact your seeing water at the front (not the rear) makes me think its not the evaporator.

When you switched off the mains water, did you also disconnect the water line, I ask since the water line would still be at 2-3 bar of pressure with the water switched off, so you would need to disconnect the water line and remove the water filter to prove the leak is not from the water line,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
James. No I did not disconnect the water input pipe. You are implying that this may need replacing? Thanks David
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
JamesI am not sure what the water filter look like. Is it where the water line connects to the appliance? Thanks David
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

Hi David, you may not have an inline filter (its an optional component).

If its the water line or the valve in the fridge door which is leaking you need to drain the water line, as by switching off the water your not taking the water rout of the line\depressurising the water line so the leak would still form.

Go to where the fridge water supply connects to the mains water, turn the isolation tap off, then the pipe for the fridge should unscrew from the valve its connected to, have a bowl to hand and let the water drip into the bowl.

Give it 48 hours and see if you have any water forming under the door.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks - it has just been leaking again - after a pause of a couple of days . I will do as you suggest. In truth I don't think that there is an inline filter at all.David
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

If there was one you would see it between where the water line enters the fridge and where the water line connects to the mains, its an optional component, the key is disconnecting the water line and taking the pressure from the water line then seeing if its leaking.

As the vast majority of these issues relates to the water line or valves connected to it where the water is pooling under the door and there is no sign of ice in the bottom of the freezer or to the rear of the appliance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I have taken off the water line and there was no pressure or presence of water in the line. I will now wait 48 hours as you suggest to see if there is a repetition. Regards ***** *****
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

No problem will await to hear back from you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi James. Fridge freezer still leaking every couple of days or so. Main water disconnected when we last spoke (6 days ago). Any ideas? Thanks David
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

Ok if you cant see any sign of ice in the freezer compartment floor, it sounds like it could be the cold water storage tank.

Im fairly confident it will be a faulty connection on the pipe run somewhere, since the water has to be either condensate or fresh water, we have ruled out water from the mains by disconnecting that, so the only places water is held is the water tank, as if it was condensate you would have seen that at the back not the front of the appliance, if it was forming in the freezer you would see it frozen as ice near or around the door seal.

This leaves me to believe you will need to strip the door town and check the pipe run, how old is the appliance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
JamesJames. Some ice has formed on the bottom floor of the freezer compartment. We bought it new in 2004 and have never had problems before. Regards David
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Hi David, it appears I missed you response above, I am sorry for the delay, do you still need assistance?