bonzaco
bonzaco, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We have a 1950s Frigidaire refrigerator which has works

Customer Question

We have a 1950s Frigidaire refrigerator which has works perfectly for all these years but has now just stopped. Power is going to the motor but the appliance is no longer working. Can we get a technician to visit us at home in Northamptonshire - NN6 9AZ? Anthony and Jenny
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Hi both ~ can you tell me the model number of your refrigerator compressor (motor) and let me see if I can help. I'm assuming that the refrigerant is R12 ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took photos of the faded information and documents at the rear of the fridge. Can you confirm you received them? I admit they are very old! Can you send me an email address to which I can send the photos again?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hope you can make something of these. Please let me know
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

Gosh I havent seen one of these in years. I'm going to offer you premium service for an extra $5 so that I can have a long conversation with you. There are a number of considerations that you both need to be aware of and it will avoid too much text chatter. This way we can stay in touch as the project progresses.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have a conversation in due course - I would just like to know if someone can come and fix this for us. It was second hand when my family bought it in 1953. It's become something of an heirloom! Can someone come to our home and fix??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please confirm that you are in a position to despatch someone to repair our refrigerator?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

OK let me explain a couple of points, (which is why I wanted a phone conversation) firstly the type of compressor used back then is no longer available so if this needs replacing it will have to be replaced with a modern equivalent. Also the Refrigerant gas has been banned and is no longer used. (its a CFC). So you will need a refrigeration engineer who is able and happy to do this for you. Not many of us about these days. The question is would you want to pay about £200 to have this unit repaired? If so then lets have a conversation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am really grateful to you! Actually I'm glad you have written your response. It is something I can refer to when discussing our next action with my wife. The refrigerator is old and I'm sure doing no good to the environment, but it has sentimental value to my family! Whether my wife agrees is a matter for gentle persuasion! So I need to get back to you this afternoon. thanks again. Anthony
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

Not a problem, I am happy to do this for you if needed but because I'm up in Boston I would have to collect it on my way to work in Birmingham. Do the job and drop it back off the following week. I had a similar LEC with the car door handles which I kept for the office milk and drinks but eventually the door hinges gave up and I had to get a new item. No where near the quality, Frididaire was the first company I worked for when I left college they were based in Ellesmere Port way back then.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We would like you to repair it, but it's very large! And impossibly heavy! Honestly you would do better to come and look at it, assess its needs and then to bring the parts to us. We are in NN6 9AZ. Best wishes Anthony
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

OK can you send me a picture of it, in your opinion would it fit into a Renault Kangoo van?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It would be best if I photographed it and gave you the dimensions. It is heavy and it would need two or three people younger and stronger than me to lift it. It's at home and I'm in the office at work but can get you this information tomorrow morning.
To make life more difficult the fridge is in our summer house (it's well built!) outside and any carrying would be over around 100 yards! (I hope I'm not putting you off!). Best wishes Anthony
PS I'm going to a meeting in Northampton now and wont pick up your reply till this evening.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

No worries, I'm here until about 10pm this evening. Just ping me on here when you want to continue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dimensions of the fridge are 1.6m high, 0.8m wide and 0.6m deep. IMG 6752 which I've added is the ancient fridge! Thanks Anthony