Gavin
Gavin, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Whitegoods Engineer
101089104

Neff integrated dishwasher no power. Mains switch fuse OK

Neff integrated dishwasher no power. Mains switch fuse OK and fuse in spur unit fine but when you press the start button, nothing. No lights on control display

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Gavin an expert here at JA. Could you check the rating plate on the rim of the dishwasher door for the serial and product details for me please.

Please Ignore any phone call options as they get generated automatically we can easily diagnose this via chat

Gavin

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Gavin,
Am away from home for a couple of days and will get back to you on return with this info. From memory though there wasn’t anything there
Great thank you. They can be a little hard to see on the Neff machines but it’s normally dead centre near the door lock.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In this case half way down on the left hand door rim - after a bit of searching!
E-Nr
851E50X0GB/21
FD9010 00890Type SM6P1F
120100412156008900Above are all the numbers I could find - can send a photo if this helpsJohn

Thanks John. There is more than 1 possible cause of a fault like this but I can walk you through what to check. Do you own a multimeter at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have a multi metre and reasonable electrical experience

Excellent, I'll put a list of checks together for you to help diagnose the fault.

Do you have access to the plug?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is a fused switch above the counter which controls a spur unit behind the appliance. The fused switch is live (neon is on) but I haven’t yet moved the appliance in the hope that the fault is to te front - taking out an integrated unit is a hassle but if needs must obviously this must be done
John

Thanks John, I was going to start with the tests that you can do without having to take it out.

All these tests are 'dead' tests so make sure the power is off

First test is to test the actual on/off switch.

Remove the decorative door and the facia/control panel to access switch. Select ohms reading remove connection to on/off switch and test across the 2 pins of the switch. You should get a reading similar to if you touched the probes together.

Remove fused spur from wall

On ohms setting test between earth at spur and door of dishwasher

then test between dishwasher live cable and live at on/off switch of dishwasher

then test between dishwasher neutral cable and neutral at on/off switch of dishwasher

Let me know how you get on

Gavin

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Gavin
I'm not having a lot of joy with the ohms readings but do have continuity between the earth at the spur and the door of the DW.
Have continuity between the live and one of the terminals on the switch - they are both yellow wires so not sure which is live.
No continuity between the two neutrals assuming that the neutral is the opposite to the switch terminal which is positive for continuity ie. the live.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Gavin
Not sure if you received previous. I have now eliminated the ring main as a problem as i managed to locate the plugtop for the dishwasher in an outlet at the back of the neighbouring cupboard. I tested between the plugtop (fuse good) of the dishwasher and the plug which goes into the switch. My multi meter set to 2 Ohms gives a reading of around 80 for the live and 30 for the neutral. In terms of continuity, fine on the live, nothing on the neutral.Testing between the plugtop and the actual switch no readings at all on either terminal and thats when switching on and off while testing. I take from this a faulty on/off switch, do you agree
No it hadn’t come through I’ll just read it now
Have you plugged something else into the socket that the dishwasher came out of?
You can test for continuity on the on/off switch as well by removing the spade terminals, putting your probes between 2 terminals and turning the switch on and off and checking for a reading.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have the good ladies hair dryer attached and works fine - also took an extension lead from another ring main and plugged dishwasher into this - nothing. Have taken switch out and tested across the terminals and get continuity (buzzer) but on the 2M Ohms setting nothing
bad readings accords those terminals would definitely indicate that it’s faulty especially if you are getting 2 different readingsIs it this switch that you havehttps://www.4ourhouse.co.uk/switch/product.pl?pid=2295184&query=S51E50X1GB+switch
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that's the one
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I just go ahead and order?
Before you do just try one more test. Pull the spade terminals off the switch than test each cable to the neutral pin of the plug then repeat but on the live pin
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The two yellow cables going into the switch I have tested and live gives continuity, neutral nothing. Have gone further back to the block in the fascia where the two yellow wires come from. It is served by two blue wires and same result

If you can't get continuity between the plug pins and the cables that feed the on/off switch then the problem must lie between the the plug and the switch.

Try replacing the plug cutting back an inch of the cable from the existing plug, if that doesn't work you need to pull the machine out and check the connection into the machine it has an old 'kettle lead style plug that goes into the back right hand side on yours

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thought we'd nailed it. After a nightmare of getting the appliance out - another story - have taken the feed cable off and tested this (having cut back as you suggested) to find continuity on the live and nothing on the neutral. Bingo I thought as this would most likely mean a faulty 'kettle' type connector. However just to double check I tested within the appliance from the connector to the wires supplying the switch. Result no neutral but fine on live
If you’re getting it on the live but not the neutral with the same test that’s it you’ve found the fault!
I was trying to avoid you having to pull it out but obviously you needed to in the end. You can hang up the marigolds now hahaI’d really appreciate it if you could quickly click on the stars to rate my helpThanksGavin
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ah but! Why are we not getting continuity between the receiving neutral connector on the plug unit at back of the machine and the actual switch on the fascia?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
or is it as simple as if there is no live something inside the appliance disables the neutral?
Ah. I read your message as. I continuity between plug and connector that goes into board.
Sometimes when it passes through the board you won’t get a reading.
Whilst you’ve got it out you could follow the connections between the pcb and on off switch and test them as well
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think this may be the answer. I'm not the best at describing what I am testing as I don't have the jargon as they say. Basically the supply cable itself when disconnected is not showing continuity so as we agree this supply cable must be faulty and I'll order a replacement. Having taken the supply cable out I did test between male receiving pins where the supply cable plugs in and the on/off switch and again got nothing on neutral but, as I think you are pointing out, this could be that when the appliance has no power running to it the neutral is disabled?Anyway thank you hugely for your patience and time on this one, much appreciated. I'll absolutely give you the highest of ratings! If a new cable is not the solution I may just be back but lets cross that bridge!John

More than welcome. Keep me posted as to how you get on

Gavin