JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Just wanted to know if there is anybody to repair my steam

Hi....just wanted to know if there is anybody to repair my steam cleaner ..which is tripping the fuseboard every time I am trying to switch it on...I am in Ireland
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I havent used it for a good while...maybe over a year
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not sure if I can do it myself...I had used water straight from tap after moving into this house which gets well water so its hard water ...maybe that could have done the damage
Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: To be precise its nearly 2 years that I havent used the steam cleaner
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No , but if it can be fixed I would like to get it fixed as I am looking to use it soon.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just to let you know its a Lavor Start steam cleaner that I bought in Lidl...am not able to upload a picture of the model number on this page.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I can only see now the picture being uploaded...sorry for the confusion.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Its most likely you have a earth leakage fault where either water has got into a dry compartment and shorting the electrics or the insulation around the element has failed.

The likely cost of repair would be around 100 Euro, where did you buy the appliance from?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I bought the appliance from a Lidl Store in Waterford Ireland many years ago after I moved into my house in 2005.it had been working fine until I moved house again 2 years back, where this house is supplied by well water
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had used the steam cleaner to clean the hall tiled floor as the tiles were not of a smooth finish and had collected dirt over the years. It has since gone bad.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If there is leakage fault will it be safe to repair and use it again or is it better to discard it.

Right it does sound like a faulty element as hard water around the element such as that you would find from a well would cause the element to fail

A leakage is normally caused for a faulty seal, so by repairing the faulty o ring or gasket would fix the leak, stop the fault and therefore make it usable again.

With that said based on the page the appliance it approach end of its natural life, most mobile appliances such as vacuums and steam cleaners are typically designed with a 10 year life expectancy 15 if used infrequently, so if you did opt for repair your looking a couple of years before another fault develops. So it may be worth investing in a replacement rather than repair.

Going froward it would be worth using a water filter such as a Brita Water filter to fill the steam cleaner, and any other appliance such as a kettle or steam iron, to reduce the calcium which will harden around the elements.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My Hoover Steam generator iron has also stopped working...we have installed a water softening system for the house recently... so hopefully that will solve these problems...the iron is only about 2cyears old... would it cost the same to fix the iron. I tried cleaning it with decalcifying agents but the water doesnt steam up anymore.

steam generators and any iron to be fair are not really economical to repair due to their weight postage costs are high for what the cost of replacement would be.

A water softener would help however most replace calcium for sodium hence why you shouldn’t drink sofented water, ideally you want to buy destilled water like you use to top up lead acid batteries in cars.

However would agree that the same issues on your iron is likely to be affecting the steam cleaner both brought about due to hard water.

James

IVe not heard back from you in some time, do you require any further assistance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delayed reply....I have bought a new steam cleaner and decided to discard the old one as its not worrh repairing. Thank you for your advice.

No problem, so I may close the case please rate the service using the star rating at the top of this page.