JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have an 18-year-old Parkinson Cowan Lyric 55 GX gas

I have an 18-year-old Parkinson Cowan Lyric 55 GX gas cooker.
How can I get it repaired?Chris (London SW6 4QB)

Hi Chris, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

What is the fault you have with the cooker?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi James, that took a long time but it is good to hear from you. I am not a gas engineer; all I can say it that it is not working properly. It does not get hot enough. The people who used to repair it say that they no longer repair that particular gas cooker, presumably because it is 18 years old. I was hoping that you might be able to suggest someone who would be willing to come and try to repair it for me. Can you?

It rather depends on the type of fault, so when you say it doesnt get hot, can you clarify if:

1. If it lights without issue you

2. Which part does get hot (Hob, Gril or Oven)

3. How hot does it get colder than 100 degrees or 150 plus?

There are still some parts available so once I get a feel for what the issue is I can direct you to someone who can come out and assist you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi James: 1. It lights OK. 2. Hob gets hot; never use the grill; oven doesn't get hot enough. 3. I think probably 150 plus, but I'm not sure. James, I am 90 f**king years old and my parts don't work well. My gas cooker is a lot younger than I am but its parts also don't work well. If you can direct me to someone who can come out and help me, I'll love you forever.Best wishes, Chris

The most likely cause is a faulty thermostat the part would cost around £75 (you can find the part here).

Based on the cost of the part, and the age of the appliance it may be cheaper to replace the oven all together.

I would give London Appliance Repair a call on 07428131569

Let me know how you get on with them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi James, Many thanks. I phoned the number you gave me but they only do repairs in north London. Can you suggest someone who repairs old gas ovens in Fulham, west London? Best wishes. Chris

Sorry for giving you the run around Chris, we had a note stating he covered SW, I will update our notes.

Give Glo Tech a call they are showing availability from Monday onwards, their number is 0208(###) ###-####/a>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi James, that was f**king quick and very helpful. I had to go out immediately after receiving it. When I got back, I phoned Glo Tech and spoke to a brilliant young man who obviously knew what he was talking about, went into a lot of detail, and said that thermostats for our model and no longer available, that it might be possible to find a compatible one but it might not, and so it would probably be sensible to buy a new gas cooker. My partner and I are now thinking about it. I don't think I will need any more help from you at the moment but you have been very helpful and it has been a pleasure conversing with you. Take care. Chris

Thanks Chris, so I can close the case please rate the service received using the star rating at the top of the page. Should you decide to replace it then Glo Tech can install it for you.