Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My washing machine's door has stuck shut. Assistant: What's

My washing machine's door has stuck shut.
Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Zanussi Essential 1600kg, probably around 8 yrars old.
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: That depends on what I may have to do!
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Sorry, but I have no way of answering that.

Do you have the model number please. It may be printed in smaller letters on the front console panel.

Also does the door handle feel lose or floppy?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, no sign of any model number, and I can't presently extract the washing machine from its rather tight space to check the back: I'll have to wait for my son to come home and help me with that, so it may be more appropriate to continue this conversation tomorrow morning. The door handle come halfway open, but that's it, and I don't want to pull it too hard in case a break it.
And I mis-read the make and model: it should actually be Zanussi Essential 1600 6kg.

Ok this sounds like the door handle has snapped here. But first try unplugging the washer and give the door handle a good bang and see if it shocks the door into opening.

But if not then it will be down to a snapped door handle.

For this when you do get the washer pulled out you need to remove the top and unplug the washer.

Then remove the top and then look down the front on the inside on the right.

There you will see the door lock.

You need to reach down there and feel the left hand side of the lock and there you will feel the door pin.

You need to push the pin to the left and at the same time pull the door and it should open then.

Once open you can then replace the door handle from there.

Or another way is use a flat screwdriver and prise the door open from there. But this way may damage the door lock so if it does then the lock will need to be replaced as well which can be quite expensive.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've just managed to contact a mate who's going to come round tomorrow morning and have a go at it, so I'll get back to you afterwards, but thanks for your efforts so far.

No worries, Hopefully you can sort it then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, panic over, thanks: the stringy-thingy suggestion round the door got it open!
Nice one. Glad to hear you sorted it and thanks for letting me know.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No bother, and thanks for your help: not sure that I can genuinely rate you as in all honesty we didn't really get started on your expertise, but I give you a 4 for effort!