Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

On our Siemens fridge freezer the alarm occasionally goes

Hi, on our Siemens fridge freezer the alarm occasionally goes off and the temperature is changing up and down.
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Siemens is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 16 years old. model is KG32U193GB
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible!
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was pooling water in the fridge but i cleaned out the filter with a pipe cleaner yesterday, and thats not happening today

Has the freezer started to defrost itself in there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think so. Ice keeps building up at the bottom of the freezer making it hard to open drawers
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What shall I do!

Ok if you have ice forming there then there will be a lot more behind there. Now this will be causing the fault you have as the ice behind the panel will be effecting the air flow around the freezer.

What you need to do on this is either turn off the appliance and empty the freezer and from there you need to remvoe the back panel in there.

Behind there you will see the evaporator and under there is the drain gutter.

You will find theres all ice there.

You need to use a hairdryer and melt all the ice and fully defrost it from there.

Or failing that if you dont fancy removeing the panels then leave it turned off for 24 hours and leavee the freezer door open and this will allow all the ice to melt itself.

Then after 24 hours turn it back on and this shuld have cured the fault from there and it will be up and running again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But we have full fridge and freezer so all the food will go off.

If you dont want to turn it off then you need to do the first part and remove the panels to cure it.

Other then that you will need to run the fridge and freezer down and then do the defrost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. So the panels that need defrosting are behind the drawers in the freezer section?

Yes, Thats the panels you need to remove.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I'll do that. Will wait a couple of days so have used up most food!

No worries, Im sure you can sort it from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help, Daniel. Do I need to credit you as an expert now? Or can I do that when all sorted?

Its up to you. You can either do now or when its sorted.

Either way if you rate now you can always get back to me on this as that isnt an issue.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Daniel, well I defrosted the fridge freezer for 24 hours and turned back on but the temperature doesn't seem to getting cold again. It's only -1 not -18.

Ok if the freezer is only getting to -1 and not getting any colder then im afraid its looking like a system fault here.

Its more then likely a poor pumping compressor here as its struggling to pump the gas around the system fully. So we now know its not ice blocking the air flow so given as its not cooling as it should this can now only be a system fault here.

Now this isnt a diy fix as a fridge engineer will need to do the repair as they need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back to see whats happening in there.

But this isnt a cheap fix as a new compressor fitted is around the £250 mark.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Daniel, our fridge freezer is fine now, and is back up to -18. Just took a few hours to get there. Thank you so much for your help! What an amazing service, such a good idea. Thanks again.