Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My freezer is working on, but the fridge is a high temp. The

Customer Question

Hi, my freezer is working on, but the fridge is a high temp. The lights etc all work, and the alarm sounds if the door is left open, it just won't chill
Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It 7 years old, Hotpoint quadrio
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

If the fridge isnt cooling but the freezer is fine then its more then likely a blocked evaporator inside the freezer. As all the cooling is done in there and the fan in there blows the cold air into the fridge section.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and from there remove the plastic panel in the freezer at the back.

Behind there is the evaporator. You may find this is covered in ice.

Use a hairdryer to defrost it untill all the ice has melted.

Once its defrost then see how it goes from there. It should get back to normal again from there.

Or if you dont fancy removing the panels then you need to defrost the appliance for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open as this will defrost itself from there.

But if it does it again in say 2-3 weeks then it has a defrost fault. Either the defrost heater, thermal cut out or control unit can be at fault here causeing this.

But try the defrost first and see how it goes. Fingers crossed this will get it going again.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

I see the question is still open here, Do you still need help on this?

If not then if you could remember to click the star ratings at the top of the page that would be great.