Gavin
Gavin, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Whitegoods Engineer
101089104

Fridge Freezer FD7806 will not self defrost.

Customer Question

Expert:  Gavin replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Gavin and I'll be helping you today. Could you please confirm the enr number or your fridge freezer so that I can be sure to give you the right advice.

Please ignore the priority phone call pop up it is sent automatically

Gavin

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
KGU3201GB/07
Expert:  Gavin replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. Is it the freezer section you are having trouble with? Could you give me some more information about the fault please ie there is ice build up at the back of the freezer or snow like frost on the drawers.Thanks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ice build up on the condenser
Expert:  Gavin replied 12 days ago.
Thanks this can be caused in a couple of different ways. I’ll type up what you need to look for. Do you own a multimeter?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I do have a multimeter.
I am an electronic engineer, so I have the appropriate tools. I just don't have the circuit diagrams for it.
The Icing up was on the evaporator, I think I said the condenser.
My guess is that it is something on the control board at the top not sending the signal to, what appear to be a couple of triacs in the power supply at the bottom at the rear of the unit, though I have not taken the heatsinks off to confirm that is what they are.
Cheers. P.D.Bulley.
Expert:  Gavin replied 11 days ago.

Great,it's always easier to help someone who has the skills to test. As you say it could be a board fault but its quite unusual for that to be the cause of the fault.

You need to start at the gully where the frost drains into when defrosting. Clear all ice away and ensure that you can pour hot water in and let it drain away. It drains through the back of the fridge freezer where it collects in a tray on top of the compressor and then evaporates from the heat of the compressor. Where the water leaves the drain tube to drain into the tray there will normally be a rubber spout, check that it has not welded itself together with the heat of the compressor.

There is a defrost heater and thermal fuse attached to the evaporator inside the the freezer compartment. Test the fuse for continuity https://www.4ourhouse.co.uk/search.pl?query=KGU3201GB%2F07+fuse

Also check the for resistance across the element https://www.4ourhouse.co.uk/heater-defrost/product.pl?pid=923608&query=KGU3201GB%2F07+heater

If the thermal fuse or element are open circuit they will need to be replaced.

Sometimes the build up can simply be caused by a build up of scale in the drain tube causing a blockage and just cleaning it out will solve the problem.

I hope this answers your question. Please could you click on the stars to rate my help.

If you need any more information please don't hesitate to ask

Many Thanks

Gavin