JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Krups Espresso full barrister coffee machine

I have a Krups Espresso full barrister coffee machine (EA9010) I've had this problem a few times with my previous machine (Krups replaced my original machine because it had broken down so many times). Anyway, when the steam nozzle leaves the cup, it ejects a long jet of steam into the air rather than into the liquid. This seems to be a repeat fault with this machine as it has happened on numerous occassions and I am assuming a software error.
As a result it doesn't froth the milk and limits the choice of coffees. Now that the machine is out of warrenty I really don't want to pay for it to be repaired if the same problem is going to reappear in 6 months time (This seems to be how long the repair lasts)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can wait longer.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

It sounds like the fault is caused by a blockage, do you regularly use descaller, and are you in a hardwater area?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi James,
If you are familiar with this product you'll know that the machine actually instructs me when and what maintenance programs to use. I have always carried these tasks out when requested and have always used krups products for cleaning and descaling. My husband who is a mechanical engineer himself suspects it is software issue in the programming.
We already use filtered water from fridge and the water tank in the machineis fitted with a water softener.

This is not a software fault but rather sounds like a scale problem, I would strip the unit down and see if there are significant signs of scale. I appreciate you have followed the prompts for descale and used filtered water however from the symptoms provided it does sound like a mechanical fault to me.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As I said this problem keeps happening and the company exchanged the machine about a year ago. It happened again to this new machine about 6 months ago and they repaired it do it's hard to fathom how scale can effect such a young machine so quickly but I'll get hubby to look again.
As this problem has happened repeatedly depute me treating both machines with kid gloves I'm seriously thinking of giving up.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have tried to attach a video I made but it doesn't seem to download.

There is a limit of the size you can upload which may be why your having an issue, upload it here and post the link it provides

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I should add that the problem develops slowly. Basically the nozzle comes up out of the coffee, then enects the steam. So the steam does come out but at the wrong time and with every cup of coffee it gets later and later.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi James
I think that this is the link:
http://sendvid.com/xskm0qos?secret=a987a8d1-bd3e-4b1e-93ce-5cadd2431d5e

A build up of scale could cause the issue as if there was a blockage it would take longer for the steam to leave the boiler and give you this fault.

The fact your not getting an error suggests the machine isnt aware steam is still being emitted, if your husband runs a cycle and checks the boiler and water pump voltage it would show if this is a software fault as you would not expect to see a voltage across the boiler or the pump as the nozzle retracts.

James

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Only problem is you can't run the machine once you taken it apart. As soon as it is empty on items such as water or coffee beans it tells you to reload and won't continue. My husband says that he'll look again in the morning but we don't hold out much hope as he has had it apart a couple of times before.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He says that he didn't notice any scale build up during these times.

You should be able to assemble it with the access to the top, as thats how we diagnose them when returned to our workshop.

I cant see this being a software \ PCB fault though, in those instances you would expect it to go into a fault state.

Just wanted to follow up to see if you need any further assistance?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi James,Sorry about the delayed response but life just got in the way and hubby didn’t get the chance to crack on with investigating the machine until yesterday. Anyway, to cut a long story short the inside of the machine was fine and it turns out that the problem lay with the brown plastic scaled-steam nozzle tip. I had always unclogged the holes at the side but failed to realize that there was a horizontal hole through the centre to unclog as well. (Ian discovered that it was indeed scaled up, so thank you for pointing us in this direction. Once he’d rectified the problem the machine is now performing much better (although not as well as it was when new☹). I’m going to look into replacing this ‘Steam nozzle tip’ as I think that some of the holes have been widened a bit which may be affecting performance.Considering the company Krups have repaired my machine numerous times due to this fault and indeed replaced it for a new machine I cannot fathom why this simple remedy wasn’t pointed out to me in the past!

I am glad we got there in the end, and it does sound strange this hasnt been recorded as a 'known issue'.

So I can mark the question as resolved please rate the response to date using the star rating on this page.

James

please rate the response to date using the star rating on this page.

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.