JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

On a Nordemende induction hob, one ring is flashing from E

On a Nordemende induction hob, one ring is flashing from E to 4 continuously and not heating up. Is there something I can do? The instruction manual doesn't have any troubleshooting suggestions or advice. This happened before and the technician just pressed the buttons to re-set it, he didn't repair or replace any parts.
Thanks, Frances.

Do you have the model number please.

Also is it only the one ring that isnt working? Do the other 3 work still?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HC178FL The other three rings are working.

Thanks for that.

Not sure what buttons the last engineer pressed as there isnt a reset you can do on these.

But have you tried turning the power off to the hob and leave it 20 minutes and then power it back up to see if this clears it. As this can do a hard reset of the electronics.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been powered off at the wall switch overnight.

Ok been digging around and i cannot find any service info on this. So i will opt out and open the question to the other experts and if anyone can help they will jump in.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not in any great hurry. Thanks, Frances.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hi Frances, what is the model number of the hob in question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HC178FL

E4 relates to "Supply frequency is different from rated values, turn the hob off by touching power button, wait until “H” disappears for all zones, turn the hob on by touching and continue to use. If same error is seems again, call authorised service agents."

This suggest the power supply being detected is the problem, if nothing else is causing the issue and you have not experienced power outages or using a generator, then its likely the power regulator in the hob has failed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried doing that in the first instance as it worked in the past. It did not work in this case and the other three rings are working fine. Would the power regulator not affect them in the same way?

There are two regulators on the hob, one controls ones on the left the other those on the right.

Which zone is showing the fault, is it the biggest zone?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's to the left and front of the hob

So its the smaller of the two on the left?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's right.

Ok this does sound like a fault on the PCB which controls the zone, I will look into this further and get back to you once I have located the part.

Can you advise if you have any other part or model numbers relating to this hob?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm afraid I don't. The call out fee for a technician is prohibitive as the hob is 10 years old and would probably be cheaper to replace than fix. for this reason I don't know if there is much point in locating a replacement part.

IVe checked with the main firms I use (buyspares, eSpares and Ransom) all show parts for this hob as obsolete, so it does appear this would be uneconomical to repair.

You can continue to use 3 of the 4 zone, but would expect the other left hand zone (top left) would likely fail in next 6 months.

The typical life expectancy for a induction hob is 8-10 years so you at the top end for what we would suggest would be time to replace anyway.

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.