JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Dishwasher shows E4 when turned on. I have no handbook -

Customer Question

Dishwasher shows E4 when turned on. I have no handbook - what is theproblem.
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: I inherited this item when we moved in recently. It is a standard integrated dishwasher - probably about 12 years old.
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The dishwasher is a Baumatic - I'm not sure if I told you this
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a reference BDW 14 if this helps
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Can you see if there is a full model number (under where it says BDW14 on the rating plate, normally located on the door or door frame.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't see anything - may be covered by the cupboard door?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Can you see anything writing around where the control buttons are?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IP21
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is described as Baumatic IP21 dishwasher BDW 14
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** error suggests an issue with either a water in the base of the appliance or being overfilled.

In most cases pulling the appliance out switching it off at the wall, drying the inside out, and then tilting it forward 160 degrees for a few mins should allow any water in the base to drain out, then put it back, switch it on and run a rinse \ pre-wash programme and see if you get the same fault.

Let me know how you get on, and we can troubleshoot further if the fault doesnt clear\reoccurs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't pull it out it is encased. Have switched it off at the wall but makes no difference. It is trying I think to do something perhaps drain water off.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

If you can hear the drain pump running even in standby its in a flood mode and you need to pull the unit out.

For integrated appliances you have to remove the kickboard (at the bottom), open the door and remove the screws on the inside which hold the washer under the counter, then turn the feet to reduce the highlight so the unit can be pulled forward under the worktop.

To me it sounds like you might be better off getting a local handy man in to help pull out the unit and top it forward to drain, as this will resolve 70% of the these type of issues, if it doesnt then you looking at stripping it down to locate the leak.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Do you still require assistance?

Expert:  JamesI replied 22 days ago.

Please confirm if I can close the case or if you need further assistance.