JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a 9kg Whirlpool 6th sense washing machine. At the

Hi, I have a 9kg Whirlpool 6th sense washing machine. At the start of a 40 degree wash cycle instead of always starting at 50 minutes, it starts at 9 minutes or less and I have to pause cycle and cancel. Then it resets itself to 50 degrees and all is well thereafter. I also have a door sensor that stops the start of the cycle and I have to open/close door several times before cycle will begin. Do you have any suggestions please? Robin
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: WWDC 9400
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: 859204315010 is on door rim
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think the machine is c. 5 years old, but not sure.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you have any suggestions? also the door sensor light regularly comes on and only goes out after open/closing door several times. Does this mean it is faulty and needs replacing?

Hi Robin, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

The door fault defiantly sounds like the door interlock is faulty, these are not very complicated to replace.

A door interlocked can be sourced here for around £20, the process to change a door lock is the same across all models, have a look at the video here and here

With regard to the issue with the time not showing correctly, does this just happen on a specific programme or does it happen on all programs (rinse, intensive, daily etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it happens on all programmes: 2mins on mixed; 8 mins on cottons; 7 mins on synthetics; 11 mins on delicates; 4 mins on woolens. ( I just checked this , having just put on a cotton wash as I usually use mixed programme). hanks for info on the door interlock.

What happens if you set it on say mixed and let it start for 2 mins, doe sit just spin, drain and end?

If you leave it on 11 min delicates what happens?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll need to check that once my cotton wash has finished. I think what it has done before is go into spin, drain cycle. But I haven't let it it run on to the end.

Ok, this to me sounds like a fault on the programme if that is the case, which would suggest a new PCB. which doesnt seem readily available on most of the spares firms (eSpares, Randsom, BuySpares).

Typical cost would be around £150, combine that with the door lock your looking at £170, at which point would suggest if your looking to repair the fault on the programmer you should get a repair and protect plan with D&G (see here), as for £180 they cover all labour and parts, plus give you a years warranty for future issues.

With that said though, the life expectancy of the washer is 8 years so you will probably get a few more years out of it before it fails and becomes uneconomical, so need to decide if you want to live with the issue and wait for it to fail significantly (putting the money towards a new one when it does) or repair it for £180 now and get a few more years out of it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks very much for making that clear. I think I will hang on to it until it fails for my own use, but get a replacement for my holiday cottage guests, who along with myself, currently use it. I did want to get a machine big enough to wash my double winter weight duvets. I think a 9kg capacity would take a summer weight double duvet, but not a winter weight one?

It depends if the duvets are synthetic or not, I would say a 9Kg would struggle if its not synthetic.

So I can mark the question as resolved please rate the response using the star rating on this page.