James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I’ve got a grundig fridge freezer which I plugged in last

Customer Question

Hi. I’ve got a grundig fridge freezer which I plugged in last night. This morning the temperature of the freezer was 20 and the fridge was 1. Am I missing something obvious?
Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It’s a GKN16220DZ and it’s pretty new. I don’t think it had ever been used as all the manuals were still inside
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably yes
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I’m mechanically and electrically literate
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Are you sure your reading the temps the right way round, and if you place your hand in the freezer is it cold\freezing or room temp?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James. Definitely reading them the right way round. The ambient temp in the freezer is warm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can we stay in text please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you still there James?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Yes no problem, and would you say the fridge is cold?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cool rather than cold
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Ok this model has a separate cooling system, most use cold air from the freezer but this is why the fridge is able to be cooler than the freezer.

How old would you say the appliance is?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fairly new. It’s been in storage and last night was the first time it was plugged in
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

The most likely cause is the fan isnt running in the freezer compartment, this is certainly a hardware fault since the freezer is correctly reporting the temp and knows it needs to cool

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would the fan run with the door open?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

The fun stops when the door is open, the same is true for the fridge.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ask because the fan runs with the door open
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

On the freezer and fridge or just the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just the freezer.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Sounds isnt right then, it could be a faulty PCB. However this is certainly a hardware fault a to get to the bottom would require you stripping it down, but since its under warranty wouldnt suggest you go down the road as it may invalidate the warranty.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was bought as a second so has no warranty
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

If its a second that often means a damaged box not faulty, give them a call quote the serial number as the majority they do have warranty (worth a call before having to invest in parts).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Let me know how you get on, if they wont provide a warranty repair the next step is to get an engineer in to strip the appliance down as you need specialist tools to access the PCB without breaking the plastic surround, to recomend someone I just need a postcode, however confident Grundig will offer you a free repair.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The unit isn’t under warranty as I don’t have a proof of purchase from a recognised dealer or shop. It was bought through an auction site selling seconds and returned units. I’m going to have to look at a self fix if you can talk me through please.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

I will opt out then as this will be to time consuming.

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

I will see if I can get this assigned to another expert who can talk you though this.

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Ive not heard back from you please confirm if your happy for me to resolve the query.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
please. I’ve been waiting to hear from another expert. Assumed that you had passed it on already
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 3 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Keep trying please
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Oleksandra-Moderator