Christopher Coleman
Christopher Coleman,
Experience:  Owner at Big River Service Center
66637759

I have a 9 year old thetford caprice cooker onboard my

I have a 9 year old thetford caprice cooker onboard my narrowboat. recently when using the oven on lower temps the flame will go out. above 200/240 its ok.
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Thetford caprice 9 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no i have maintenance personnel on site. I'm trying to establish initially whether cooker is repairable or needs replacement.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: AS prev stated on low temps flame goes out but ok at 200 and above

The problem you are likely having is a gas pressure regulator and it is old enough that the diaphragm is not working properly at low flow. With a 9 year old model I would expect it to work well after a replacement of the regulator but I would also expect other problems to begin at that age with an appliance like this. If you get a good 10 years then you have gotten to the industry standard life expectancy of the unit. If you have the money to replace it the then now would be the time before it becomes a money pit. Replacement at this point will prevent a lot of headaches and frustration while in the long run being the most feasible decision.

Although they are not high priced they are not cheap for most people either such as these:

https://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/thetford-caprice-oven-and-grill-black-16156-p.asp

If you have any problems or need additional assistance I would be happy to come back in and the system will notify me if you post again. Otherwise please rate my service 5 stars so I get credit for my time as we are verified expert vetted consultants and not employees. If you don't give 5 stars I don't get paid. Thanks and have a great day!