Tamar D
Tamar D, Master Tradesman
Experience:  HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech
17066333

I have a Samsung RS21DGRS American fridge freezer and my

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Hi I have a Samsung RS21DGRS American fridge freezer and my issue is that the power cool icon (fridge) keep coming on intermittently with an associated bleep, while this is happening all other controls are inoperable. This problem also results in the fridge temperature moving toward minus when it is normally set at +3 degrees. I believe this power cool mode is a manual input? Can this be disabled?
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: Please read message
JA: How long have you had your RS21DGRS?
Customer: 10 year
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Powered down for 10 mins
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi yes ok to wait a little longer
Hi there! Sorry it took a while for you to get a response from someone. My name is ***** ***** I’ve got 10+ years of experience in the hvac/appliance field. I’m sure working together we can get you an appropriate answer.Please remember phone requests might be computer generated Automafically. If you don’t want that service simply ignore it and I’ll help thru text.Have you noticed any ice build up on the coils?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No ice build up
Have we checked to make sure the door is completely closed, not open minutely when the alarm is occurring?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Door closed
Okay I understand. I want you to try something for me, I know it sounds cliche but trust me. Unplug the unit for 10 minutes and turn it back on. Try to replicate the issue and tell me if you’re able to
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Already tried this, no change
Did you recently replace a filter on it? You have to reset the light by pressing and holding the touch pad for 3-5 seconds. It doesn't reset on its own when you replace the filter
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No filter fitted
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Power cool light not filter light
Yeah, okay just trying to confirm. At this point from everything you’ve described it sounds like you have a bad component such as a relay on the control board that is sticking intermittently. Only real option is to replace it.
There’s one last thing I want you to check before we say the board is bad though, if the freezer is over cooling
I’m going off the information that you told me as far as no ice. But that still doesn’t mean the fan may be failing intermittently. If the refrigerator is showing a line on the bottom with a subsequent “dingdong” could be telling you it’s just a fan failure:
A fan going out could cause freezing/over cooling, see the video below as it is a common issuehttps://youtu.be/gCp5UI9TtYQ
Hopefully that helps Sir/mam. If you have another question for me feel free to ask it here and I’ll do my best to reply ASAP.Otherwise please remember to leave a positive rating up top of the question using the stars so I can be credited, if we don’t get rated unfortunately we do not receive credit for our answerI hope you have a great day!
- Tamar
Tamar D, Master Tradesman
Experience: HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech