JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Assistant: How can I help? I have an Aga and the ignition

Customer Question

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have an Aga and the ignition won’t stop clicking. It suddenly started out of nowhere
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About 15 minutes
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have turned the hob on and off and replaced the caps of the cooker but it keeps on clicking
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If the solution is easy then I can try to do it myself
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

I assume this is a gas aga or is it dual fuel?

Secondly can you see any sparks near the burners (hob or ovens)?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi James
It is a gas aga.
The igniter is sparking constantly
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Right but is it the spark for oven or hob?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Just to clarify the aga is split into 2 sides. One side has a gas hob and Electric ovens.
I’m talking about the gas hob
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Ok so its dual fuel, so if the hob is sparking its likely one of the control knows has become compressed or the micro switch on the knob has gone faulty.

Give burner control knob a hard bang with you hand and see if the sparking stops.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I tried that just now and noticed that one of the control knobs has become compressed. I removed it and it’s probably because some cooking residue has blocked it. Is it safe for me to clean it?
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Just to avoid any potential damage I would switch off the power to the aga via the isolation switch, you can then give it a good clean, I often find WD40 and a washing up brush works well to clean any debris, give it 15 min then turn it on and see if its stopped sparking.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Expert:  JamesI replied 4 days ago.

Ive not heard from you in some time, please advise if I can close the case or if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi James
Sorry about that. Many thanks for your help.
You can close the case.