Tamar D
Tamar D, Master Tradesman
Experience:  HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech
17066333

I have an Insinkerator Model 65--1B which stopped working

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have an Insinkerator Model 65--1B which stopped working yesterday. Pressing the reset button got it working again but it is now on continuously unless you remove the plug. Any idea what the fault is and is there a quick fix
JA: Do you know the model of your InSinkErator appliance? How old is it?
Customer: I am told that it was manufactured in 2013. S/N 1306(###) ###-####JA: How long has this been going on with your InSinkErator appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only since yesterday. All I have tried is the reset button
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Its actually a problem that my son is having since he moved into a new property a few weeks ago. Until yesterday it had been working fine.
Please read the entire message before respondingHi there, my name is*****’ve got over 10 years in the trade and I’ll be glad to help Please disregard any automated phone request or service requests as they are generated by the website. You do not have to accept phone requests unless you want phone service from me Please bear with my responses, actively working on the job site also. I am human but I will do my best to reply ASAP
Do you have a wall switch that controls the insinkerstor?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not that I am aware of. Will double check with my son. There is a button for the unit on the sink that turns it on and off but he is not sure if it is also plugged into a wall socket. There is a plug under the sink though
Got it. Sounds like the actual switch or mechanism may have failed. Have you tried working that button in and out a few times to see if it’s possibly stuck?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
a few times
Ah got it, so no luck, just staying on ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Doing some digging to see if the end user can purchase that part. Sorry for the delay!
Is that something you would feel comfortable trying to do?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No. neither of us is mechanically or electrically minded. If the job can be done by an electrician, I can arrange that.
What is the average cost of the part in question
The switch is fairly cheap. It will run anywhere from 15–30 approx, depending on where it’s sourced.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can you give me its exact name, part number, manufacturer etc--thanks
Looking for that now.
Also the electrician will need to verify the wires and everything behind the switch are good. Yours is a red reset button right? I’m about to send a photo so you can verify
It may be a good idea to have them install a wall on and off switch too.
Does it look like this?
If not, send me a photo, as there are a few variations of the switches
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
its a red reset button. There are lots of sockets already around the house which can be utilised. I am not at his house at the moment so cannot confirm
Does it look like the one I sent you?
If so I’ll go ahead and provide that part number
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
please send it
https://www.partstown.com/insinkerator/ins13422e
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No problem, before you order make sure to verify. If you want too, you can send me a photo of the switch, if not that’s okay =)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Great. Thanks for all your help
Hopefully I was helpful, courteous and kind as that is my goal.
If you don’t mind, please take a second of your time and remember to rate using the stars on the top left, that way I will be credited for answering you. (hopefully I’ve earned 5 stars)We can continue to chat after you rate, and you can ask follow up questions free of chargeThank you and have a blessed day
Tamar