JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Zanussi built in double oven. Yesterday the screws

I have a Zanussi built in double oven. Yesterday the screws holding up the grill fell out and the grill dropped down. It is impossible to put the screws back in as the holes are too big. Can you help,
JA: Is your Zanussi oven gas or electric? How old is it?
Customer: Electric
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just happened yesterday. Tried rescrewing them back in
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No that’s the situation as it is now

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

What is the model number of the oven, this can often be found on a label located around the door frame.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
ZDF490X

Ok, so you have the long bolt, and you can see the 2-3mm holes where the bolts fit into within the roof of the oven?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it's a self tapping screw on the end of the bolt

Right, and you mentioned the head of the screw wont fit the hole?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The self tapping part of the screw won't screw back because the hole is too big
Customer: replied 28 days ago.

Ok, the only real option now is to strip the oven down and put some sheet metal above the hole and drill a pilot hole for the bolt to screw in, as the threads dont really come in bigger sizes. I have seen people change the bolt for one with a matching nut but its often a challenge to find something long enough with a wider enough head to fit the support.