Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

The gas ignition button has stopped working....is there a

The gas ignition button has stopped working....is there a battery anywhere? It's a convectomat manual gas cooker
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: it hasn't done this before. It's a very old gas cooker. the hobs all work all....gas lights up ok it's the oven which as stopped working....it used to switch itself on when you turned the dial....but no more....I thought perhaps the battery has gone? (hobs are lit with a manual gas lighter the name on the front of the gas cooker says only "Convectomat"
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no....I really need a professional who knows what he is doing to do what is needed....in case a problem with the gas
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes, if there is a battery that can be easily fitted I would try to replace the battery myself....once I find out where it is

Can you post the make and model number please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, it just says “Convectomat” on the front. That’s all i’ve got sorry

If you open the doors do you see a sticker on the inside with a make and model number on it?

As ive not heard of a make called convectomat.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the hobs work ok. The oven used to light up itself. no longer. fan does not go either as before. that's why i thought it might be battery or electrical

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
opened oven door. It's German. Company is Buderus Aktiengesllschaft. Says Model EBC 7.3 Gel.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Make is Buderus. Gas cooker model EBC 7.3 Gel

Thaks for that, This is made by Electrolux.

Now looking at this the spark is generated by and electronic spark box rather then a battery im afraid.

So theres no battery on these that operates the sparking on the hobs as this is done by a spark generator which is inside the oven at the back so you would need to strip it down.

But looking at the parts list this is now obsolete so you wont be able to get the part anymore im afraid, Sorry.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
does that mean it can't be repaired?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
because gas hobs working ok

Unless you can get a universal one to fit but you would need to egt a gas engineer in to check that.

But i assume it still works if you use a lighter or something like that to light the hob?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for that. I will need to get a gas engineer in to fit a universal one. I haven't tried lighting the oven manually but will see if works

If you light it manually it should still light and work as normal from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks for your help Daniel. I will have to get a gas engineer in to get this sorted properly. Best wishes, Tony

Your very welcome Tony.

If you could remember to click the star ratings at the top of the page that would be great.