Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

The alarm & triangle sign has come on on my whirlpool

Hi, The alarm & triangle sign has come on on my whirlpool fridgefreezer S20ERBB2V ! I have lost the freezer temp display it just flashes_ _
JA: How old is your Whirlpool freezer?
Customer: 14 yrs
JA: How long has this been going on with your Whirlpool freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2/3 weeks, a repair guy came out and thought the door had been left open! ,he defrosted freezer internal back panel and the temp reset overnight but went to alarm next day. this weekend we came back from a short break and it had reset by its self only to go back into alarm 6 hours later
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: all seals are good, doors aligned and level, never had a prob before

If the freezer needed defrosting a few weeks ago and its done the same again then its going to be a defrost issue on this. As its not defrosting itself so the ice builds up and after a few weeks it stops the airflow so you get this issue.

If you are looking at fixing this yourself then you need to unplug the appliance and empty the freezer.

then you need to remove the side rails on the bottom half of the freezer then you can remove the back panel in there.

Once this is off check to see if its covered in ice.

If so then use a hairdryer and melt all the ice in there.

Once clear you will see the defrost heater under there and the 2 black wires going up the side to the top.

With a test meter you need to check the heater and see if faulty.

If so then the heater will need to be replaced.

But if the heater is fine then it will be the main control board at the back thats the fault here.

So try that if you can as if its all iced up again then its going to be either the defrost heater itself or the control board thats casuing this fault.

But if you dont fancy doing this and want to get it working for the time being then do a 24 hour defrost on it and leave the freezer door open and that will at least get it working again for a bit. But you will find in say 3 weeks it will happen again.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hi, what reading should i get ?

The defrost heater is roughly around 500 Ohms.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The control boards about £300 so at 14yrs old probably not worth changing so ill check heater and keeo my fingers crossed, thank alot

Yes, Im afraid the control boards are not cheap and on a 14 year old appliance as you say isnt really worth it.

But check the heater and see what you find from there.

If you could remember to click the star ratings at the top of the page that would be great.