JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My Ariston washing machine works but the door won't open to

Customer Question

My Ariston washing machine works but the door won't open to empty it
JA: Have you tried resetting your washer by unplugging it for 60 seconds then plugging it back in? How old is it?
Customer: It is about 13 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your washer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just todays wash, I closed the door when loaded then wanted to ad something and it wouldn't open so I thought the mechanism had just locked prematurely but on finishing wash still won't open. Tried a different 2 min cycle and I heard the click to start as normal but won't open on ending. Switched of n on but no go
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Machine will still run a programme its just the door and at mo have a load of wet towels in it
Expert:  JamesI replied 12 days ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Is the door lock symbol still showing?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no, I have run a 2 minute drain cycle since to try the open mechanism, the actual handle feels loose so wondering if that is broke
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I need to know if handle broke how do I get my washing out
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
typing response is ok
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is that it, or are you going to respond or is this outfit just a money making racket
Expert:  JamesI replied 12 days ago.

Sorry for the delay experts responses are not immediate I am afraid.

On these models there isnt an emergency door release so you would need to manually manipulate the door latch.

Have a look at the video here showing you how to open the door.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi James have watched video but can't get twine around door neither can I get the top off the washer despite removing screws it will not completely remove appears to be fixed at the front and can't get my arm in far enough to manually release the door catch
Expert:  JamesI replied 12 days ago.

Then the only option you have is to either replace the machine or call in an engineer.

Average life expectancy of a washer is 12 years old so the appliance has done well, I wouldnt suggest its worth spending any more money on the model based on its age, since its likely the latch has snapped and parts obsolete.

If you opt to replace its just using brute force to pry open the door.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK
Expert:  JamesI replied 12 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?