JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My 14 year old Santo N71840-4i has stopped working. The

Customer Question

My 14 year old Santo N71840-4i has stopped working. The temperature control is at highest, fan still working intermittently but fridge and freezer keeps stopping cooling. Temperature never gets below 10. Am thinking of replacing - is this model 60-40?
JA: What's the brand and model of your fridge?
Customer: Santo N71840-4i integrated fridge freezer
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: About two months. Turned off electricity and restarted motor. Turned temperature gauge to highest setting. Both green land orange lights.permanently flashing. Have turned off and now both lights permanently on
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Have taken off panel in freezer compartment and looks okay . Fan working and can hear compressor
Expert:  JamesI replied 16 days ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is James and I will help with your query today.

What temp would you say fridge and freezer are currently working at now?

When was the appliance last defrosted?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, thanks for getting back. The fridge freezer is frost free. The temperature of the fridge is just below 10c. Yesterday was nearer 20c. The freezer has frozen the small bowl of water, yesterday was liquid. The gauge is at 6, it’s highest, and both lights orange and green are flashing. Have turned off power and on again after 5 minutes which hasn’t made any difference. As is 14 years old maybe should replace as repair could be expensive. It is an AEG.
Expert:  JamesI replied 16 days ago.

Fridges get their cold from the freezer via a duct behind the rear wall.

Though its frost free its rather common as appliances to get holder that frost builds up in the duct and stops cold air circulating.

70% chance if you defrost both fridge and freezer over 6 hours, the issue would resolve, should it reoccur within a few months then its likely the defrost element \ sensor has failed.

With that said the typical life expectancy of an appliance is 12 years so I wouldnt suggest spending money on a repair, if it doesnt start working after doing a defrost.

Expert:  JamesI replied 4 hours ago.

I havent heard from you in some time, do you require any further assistance?