Tamar D
Tamar D, Master Tradesman
Experience:  HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech
17066333

My Bosch Classic fridge freezer has stopped working. Shood I

Customer Question

My Bosch Classic fridge freezer has stopped working. Shood I have an engineer to come or should I buy a new one. Mine is over 10 years old.
JA: Do you know the model of your Bosch fridge?
Customer: It is a Classixx. The number is *****
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked that mains electricity is getting to it. I have checked that the fridge is set for +4 and the freezer is -18. I saw that the ice cubes were completely melted yesterday and food in the fridge was damp.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We wonder do we need a visit by a Bosch technician or do we need a new appliance. It occured to me that the pump may have worn out???
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
Please read the entire message before responding

Hi there, my name is Tamar, I’ve got over 10 years in the trade and I’ll be glad to help Please disregard any automated phone request or service requests as they are generated by the website. You do not have to accept phone requests unless you want phone service from me Please bear with my responses, actively working on the job site also. I am human but I will do my best to reply ASAP
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
Hope you are doing well today! Is the fridge cooling at all? (Can you hear anything running)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No I can not hear anything
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
Got it. Thanks.

So let me give you the scoop. There are two scenarios that play out with fridges. Depending on which one you are encountering will depend on whether it’s worth fixing.
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
No need for a phone call as JustAnswer will charge more for that service. I can help through text.

If you do want a call another expert can call and I’ll continue to help via text
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think the number might be 01514285745
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
What we need to determine is is the compressor is *running* or not.

The compressor is the black pump looking device that usually resides in the bottom of the machine. If it runs it will hum and vibrate.

Sometimes, the capacitor or relay that helps start the compressor can fail, causing the machine not to cool. If this is the case it is worth fixing. Relays and capacitors are cheap.

The other scenario you’ll run into is either the compressor is shorted out/bad , the unit is low on refrigerant or there’s a bad defrost component.

If you have a multimeter, we could ohm the compressor to make sure it’s good electrically

If there’s a leak or bad compressor in the system, the unit is simply not worth fixing. As the price to replace a compressor or repair a leak will likely be 50-75% or more of the value of a new unit
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you have any other thoughts or questions

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can not wait. Please cancel the phone call
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
Yes the phone call won’t go through if no other tech calls. If you are satisfied with the answer please remember to rate the question and it will be closed

You can ask follow up questions to me in the same box free of charge e
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am still awaiting your reply to my question
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
Did you not receive the answer I sent ?
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
I will copy and paste it again
Expert:  Tamar D replied 15 days ago.
What we need to determine is is the compressor is *running* or not. The compressor is the black pump looking device that usually resides in the bottom of the machine. If it runs it will hum and vibrate. Sometimes, the capacitor or relay that helps start the compressor can fail, causing the machine not to cool. If this is the case it is worth fixing. Relays and capacitors are cheap. The other scenario you’ll run into is either the compressor is shorted out/bad , the unit is low on refrigerant or there’s a bad defrost component. If you have a multimeter, we could ohm the compressor to make sure it’s good electrically If there’s a leak or bad compressor in the system, the unit is simply not worth fixing. As the price to replace a compressor or repair a leak will likely be 50-75% or more of the value of a new unit
Expert:  Tamar D replied 11 days ago.

Is everything okay? I never heard back so I wanted to check if you had other questions.

If you had another question, feel free to ask it now and ill do my best to reply asap
Otherwise, All I ask is that you take just a few seconds and remember to rate the question postively with the stars on the top left.
Hopefully I earned 5 stars today =). That way JustAnswer will credit me as the expert for answering your question
You can ask a follow up question after rating my services in the same box free of charge with no time constraints
Thanks & have a blessed day
- Tamar