Tamar D
Tamar D, Master Tradesman
Experience:  HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech
17066333

Daewoo fridge freezer making a racket stops if you open

Daewoo fridge freezer making a racket stops if you open either fridge or freezer door what could be the problem please?
JA: Do you know the model of your Daewoo fridge? How old is it?
Customer: Cannot find the ppaerwork or anythingon the appliance is 4 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Daewoo refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: taken all the ice in the dispenser out we have never connected the water for ice cubes so not sure why it was there taken out some casing in freezer as all was iced up turned it off for an hour and then turned it on again and soon the noise started up again
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: don't think so
Please read the entire message before responding

Hi there, my name is Tamar, I’ve got over 10 years in the trade and I’ll be glad to help Please disregard any automated phone request or service requests as they are generated by the website. You do not have to accept phone requests unless you want phone service from me Please bear with my responses, actively working on the job site also. I am human but I will do my best to reply ASAP
Hope you are doing well today! Could you describe the noise you are hearing ? Is it like a rattling or buzzing
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is more like a generator, sounds loud
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Any ideas as to what is causing this noise?
You say it stops when the door is opened? (Freezer door)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Either fridge or freezer door
It could be the cooling fan motor or blade, or the compressor

Is this a side by side unit? Or top and bottom (freezer top fridge bottom)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
side by side
Does the noise sound like it’s coming from the freezer area? Or down at the bottom of the unit near the compressor
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hard to tell as it sounds like the whole thing but perhaps more from the bottom of the unit
If it’s coming from the bottom it may be the compressor or condenser fan motor if it has one.
Can you give me the exact model number of the unit?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
there is a bar code on the back KE57E034 and 0087 beneath it
Yeah that’s not pulling up anything. The mode number is usually on the inside on like a sticker or data plate. It can be on the outside sometimes
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have found the serial no KE157E03450029 i WILL KEEP LOOKING!
Alrighty. Can you go to the back of the machine where the compressor is and see if the noise comes from there? The compressor is the black pump looking device with copper refrigerant lines coming from it
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would have to take the whole back off to see but having moved it out from wall it seems to be coming from middle on freezer side
Ok, got it. So this may be the cooling fan motor.
Do you know where the cooling fan is? (Usually in the freezer section)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
yes I think I can see that
It may be the bearings in that motor going out, or the fan blade is scrubbing some ice
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What should I do to determine the problem?
You will need to get good access to that fan blade and motor by taking off any shroud or panel that surrounds it. Once you have access to it, spin the fan blade by hand and feel for any resistance or slop in the bearing. Also make sure the fan blade does not scrape anything as it makes a full revolution.

If it’s surrounded by ice and scraping it, you may need to manually defrost the machine. If it’s a motor bearing issue, the motor will need to be changed
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
So is it best to turn off supply before I attempt this?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
electricity supply that is! I have now found the model no too DRQ29DEB
Yes. The power supply should be off
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No problem. Let me know if you need anything else