Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a Bosch washing machine and drier in my basement. The

Customer Question

I have a Bosch washing machine and drier in my basement. The builder has just moved them into a tight enclosed space ((with two cm free to the sides).
The electrical sockets are behind the appliances and there is no separate fuse or isolator switch.
The only way to get to the plug is to tip the appliance forward and reach down with long arms or a stick behind the back of the machines.
Does this meet regulations
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The appliances are on a raised platforms (about 18 inches) so can’t be moved forward. There is a sloped space above. To lift them out would require two people
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Kelly replied 13 days ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 13 days ago.

The dryer should be on its own fused circuit, so I would have that changed. As far as location, it should not be an issue but it should not share a circuit with any other outlets or appliances.

Please let me know you have received the information you came for, clicking on the star scale to rate your experience with me. It is my goal to give you all the help you need. Please be sure to use the star scale to leave your feedback rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is this a requirement?
Expert:  Kelly replied 13 days ago.

It will vary in some locations but for safety, it should be a dedicated circuit.

High Power circuits

Within domestic premises, there may be a number of high wattage appliances, the most common being an electric cooker, clothes dryer, immersion heater and electric shower. Each of these appliances should be connected to the consumer unit using a dedicated fuse/trip and cable run. The installation instructions for the appliance should detail the wattage of the appliance (which will also normally be shown somewhere on the appliance), the amperage of the fuse/trip and the size of cable required. Any switches on these circuits must also be of a suitable current rating.