JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My sister has just had a Vaillant Eco FIT Pure system fitted

My sister has just had a Vaillant Eco FIT Pure system fitted through the Govt free boiler scheme. Unfortunately, she has mislaid the instruction booklets and the heating is very high. The ambient is 20, sometimes 20.5, but the general temperature button keeps going to 21 and 21.5. I have attempted to turn it down to 18 and 18.5, but it keeps jumping back to 21/21.5. I have printed out the instruction booklet on line, but it only has information about the main boiler - not the heating control panel. Can you help? I will not be able to do anything on the boiler tonight because I am contacting you from my home.
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler? How old is it?
Customer: It is brand new - about three weeks old. I could not see any error messages.
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This has been going on from a few days after it was installed. Up to now, however, I have been able to change the temperature so for instance, when the ambient temperature is 20, I could put the other one to 18 and it would stay for the rest of that day - though this process would have to be engaged again the next day.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I simply want to know how (1) what is the best number for the ambient and how to change the general heating temperature - usually to be lower than the ambient, we believe, but to make it stay at this lower temperature. At the moment it is showing to be even higher than the ambient and the radiators are hotter than is desired.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is James and I will help with your query today.

Normally the boiler has a external thermostat, are you saying they have fitted an integrated thermostat on the boiler?

In terms of questions.

1. Most homes have it set to 20 degrees, but reducing the temp to 19 or even 18 can significantly reduce the heating bill. I would suggest a minimum of 19 if they have young children or elderly residents in the property.

2. Once I know the type of control\thermostat fitted I can advise how to set it so it doesnt keep reverting back to 21.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am not at my sister's home at the moment, but if I can call you sometime tomorrow morning while I am standing in front of the control/thermostat that would be extremely helpful. In the meantime, it would be reassuring to know that the high temperature of the radiators will not damage the system - especially as the ambient number is often below the general temperature in the house. Could you give me a phone number so that I can ring when I get to my sister's home tomorrow?

We dont have inbound phone numbers I am afraid as we dont operate a call centre, you can request a phone call but this is often a chargeable service.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'll have to start all over tomorrow - that being the case as I don't know exactly when I will get to her house. there is no point in giving you her number because gadgets make her shut down! I will have to write down everything and leave it for her to take her own time to understand how to set up the system.

If you respond back on this question with the info tomorrow we can pick it up then.

However the current setting wont cause any issue with the boiler, its just costing alot more in gas.