JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We have a ge American fridge freezer that was here when we

we have a ge American fridge freezer that was here when we bought our house in July. It seems to not have a cut off for making ice so we've switched the ice maker off, but its still overworking and producing frost around the ice maker and the funnel where the ice is distributed. We live in Gloucester and i've been unable to find anyone in my area that will give me any help or advice
JA: What's the brand and model of your freezer? How old is it?
Customer: GE GCG23MISBFBB age unknown
JA: How long has this been going on with your freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Since we moved in but it has been moved around quite a bit as we've remodelled the kitchen. We've made sure the line isn't kinked at the back and switched the ice maker off. I've bought a replacement filter but we haven't put that on yet.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no I don't think so
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Am I going to get an answer?
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Carry on please

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Ok so the display is showing no Ice but its still filling the hopper with ice?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No that’s incorrect
The ice maker continued making ice even when the ice bucket was full and was getting very frosty around the front of the ice maker inside the freezer. So we have switched the ice maker off but it is still frosting up. Would it help if I took a picture?

If you can attach a picture that would be useful, the frost is most likely caused by air from the shoot rising and condensing causing frost.

See here for how to attach pictures using the attachment button to the right.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Freezer door
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Under the ice maker cover
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It seems to be working overtime it’s quite noisy.

The ice machine just uses existing cold air in the freezer compartment, it doesnt call for additional cold to be provided. I think the issue is most likely warm air rising through the duct, have a go blocking the duct with news paper for a few days deice the ice machine area and see if it builds up in next few days.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Where’s the duct?

Its where the ice is dispensed from so between the ice hopper and the hole in the door.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi we’ve just looked at it and it makes sense what you said. We think the spring on the flap has gone or broken. Do you know if we can get a replacement spring?

On checking all the main spares firms (Interspares, eSpares, BuySpares etc), all show the part as obsolete.

So I would imagine your best option is seeing if you can strip it down and repair the mechanism \ use a spring from something else.

Appreciate if you can rate the response provided using the star rating at the top of this page.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you know what the part number is or what it’s called?
GE the part number is WR49X10228
JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks very much, you’ve been very helpful
regards Jane
I’ve just found one on eBay for £50 if you search for the part number
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would it be easy to fit it ourselves?

It’s possible have a look at some of the generic videos but it is rather involved takes about an hour if you now what your doing.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can only find that part on eBay in the USA, did you find one in the uk?
Regarding fitting it ourselves it is probably the only option as I just can’t get a local engineer, no one wants to touch it. What would you advise?
I can’t find any detailed engineer notes so can’t give you specifics on the model but can’t see why if you get the part why you wouldn’t be able to replace it from looking at the construction.
In terms of the part it was in US but was about £35 (equivalent) and £15 P&P
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks James