canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have plumbing for a washing machine I have put the outlet

Customer Question

I have plumbing for a washing machine I have put the outlet pipe of the washing machine down the waste pipe when the washing machine lets The waste water out The waste pipe fills and overflows until the washing machine stops and then the water disappears very quickly
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 9 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. How old is the home? Is there a crawl space or basement below?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No

This is a cement slab then? How old is the home?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The house can only be 8 to 10 years old

Where does that pipe connect? It certainly is too small for a washing machine. Possibly an addition? Is that the original location for the washing machine?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes

Will you specify what Yes is a reply to? It is an addition or it is the original location of the washing machine? Where does the pipe connect to? The kitchen?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry no it isn’t an addition it is the original piping and the original location for the wash machine

Does the pipe go through the wall and connect to the kitchen?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The pipe goes in to the wall but does not go in to the kitchen I am not sure where it goes
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No thanks

The site is prompting the phone call. Not me. Please ignore it if it is not an option. If you fill you kitchen sink then drain it do you hear any glugging from the washing machine drain while the kitchen is draining?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No It’s not connected to the sink as it’s in a utility room

Very good. Will you do the test anyway? Maybe have your assistant drain the sink while you listen at the washing machine drain?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I had go at that but no noise at all

When you did that you filled the kitchen sink first then drained it?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
So not sure if this helps but when the water from the Machine stops The water has no problem in going away

Gotcha. Did you completely fill the kitchen sink then drain it? Were you at the washing machine drain pipe listening when the sink was emptied?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes have done that
Ok. Will you fill the tub with water and drain it while listening at the washing machine drain? Listen for any drain noises coming from the washer drain while the tub drains.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes I did and I was at the machine but no sound
You did the same thing with the bathtub?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No but have done that now but still no noises
Ok. Typing up an answer now.

So every drain pipe requires a vent to prevent drain piping from getting air locked. The issue you are having very well may be that the vent is blocked or it would be that the drain pipe is partially blocked. If it is the vent pipe you will want to have a look in the attic. The vent pipe in the attic may run horizontally before it goes out of the roof. Often what will happen is the vent pipe will not be secured very well where it is horizontal. When this happens there will be a belly in the pipe and that belly will fill with rain water and block the vent. Check in the attic to see if the vent pipe is full of water. You will be able to tell by shaking it gently. If you find this then you will want to secure the pipe so that the water in the pipe drains down the pipe and that will solve the issue. If you do not find a pipe in the attic that is full of water then there is a blockage in the drain pipe. In this case then remove the trap and see if the blockage is there. If you do not find a blockage in the trap then the drain pipe will have to be snaked with a drain cleaning machine and possibly inspected with a drain camera.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi ok that sounds good I will have to look into it

You are very welcome