JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Is it possible to get a replacement thermostat and where

is it possible to get a replacement thermostat and where positioned on fridge - AEG Santo Model 72398-8KA about 10 years old but in good condition except recently not cooling fully - staying at circa 13 centigrade rather than 3. Best. Kevin
JA: How long has this been going on with your AEG refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: About 4 weeks ago started failing. Have looked for thermostat control - has an external display control unit. Today opened casing inside where fan is looking for thermostat but cannot locate and the light is simply that i.e. no internal control unit
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Probably need to locate a parts diagram so I can trav]ck down. Have unit away from wall at present so can see condensor etc at back and seems to be working, the condensor is warm, ok?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
any progress on response as can provide serial number etc

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is James and I will help with your query today.

Having checked on the AEG parts sheet the thermostat is part of the PCB which is located in the roof of the appliance.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi James,
ok thanks so do you know if I can gain access to the unit easily and to check whether the thermostat is faulty or if not that could it be the condensor or indeed the cooling gas/fluid. The unit seems to be working but at higher temperature ie 13 to 15 degree c rather than normal 3 degrees. Kevin
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can you provide a response please?

When was the appliance last defrosted it, and have you tried setting it to coolmatic (yellow light should come on), give it 30 mins and see if the temp drops.

If it does then at least you know the cooling system is working.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
There is no freezer element so as operating at 13 to 15 degrees there is on defrost to do. The coolmatic light is currently on but does not seem to do anything to lower the fridge temperature. Everything looks to be oworking except not lowering to required temperature of 3 degrees so 10 degrees plus where we want it. So can I can access to the unit and seek to buy a replacement if that is the cause? K

Frost can still form behing the rear panel where you have the cooling elements, with these symptoms a defrost over a few hours would be worth doing.

With coolmatic on and not cooling that rules out the thermostat, and if you can hear the compressor running that rules out the PCB so next thing to do is check the gas pressure.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok so how do I check the gas pressure please? Should the compressor feel warm when operating? K

Yes the compressor will be warm and can even get hot to the touch, as the heat from this evaporates the condensate which sits in a contained on top of it.

You will need a gas pressure gauge you attached to the bleed valve on the compressor, the fact the appliance is approach the end of its life expectancy (12 years) I would suggest this is going to be an uneconomical repair.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have seen on you tube that you can get a cylinder of gas with a valve to pierce the copper tube and top up that way. Recommended? K

No this is not recommended, as you need to establish it is a low gas issue (rather than faulty compressor) secondly you need to find the cause of the leak or the pressure will just drop down again.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
So has this concluded the helpline?

Well if you dont have a gas pressure gauge you cant check the pressure, this then leaves an engineer.

The cheapest option would be a fixed price repair based on symptoms to date (if a defrost doesnt work).

such a service can be found here, however based on likely costs of repair I would suggest its better to invest in a new appliance.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
all noted with thanks and finally on this query can you send me a website link to the parts diagram for the actual fridge please? Kevin

The parts diagrams can be found under the heads towards the top of the page here.

Please rate the response provided using the star rating at the top of this page.